No announcement yet.

Crate GX-15R doesn't work - Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate GX-15R doesn't work - Any ideas?

I was given a Crate GX-15R and told that it works, but that the input jack is broken. The jack is physically broken where the panel mounting nut would normally go. I can't get it to work. The power light comes on, but that's about it. I noticed that the ground prong on the power cord is broken off. Is there some circuitry that keeps the amp from working if there is no ground? I know squat about electronics and this is my first amp. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Ground plug

The ground plug missing will not make the amplifier malfunction.
    It's purpose is to blow the outlet breaker (fuse) if the chassis, through a fault, develops an AC voltage on it.
    It is there to keep you from getting electrocuted.
    As to the broken input jack, is it (was it) soldered to the circuit board
    or are there wires connected to it?

Comment

If the jack is physically broken then it likely won't do its job. Have that replaced (and that area of the pcb checked for cracks) and have a new plug put on the AC cord so it has chassis gnd.
      The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

The jack is a simple, but vital, part. A replacement jack shouldn't be a big deal. I have crate gx-15, it has a mono, marshall-style, pc-mount jack, IRRC. The broken ground plug probably won't prevent operation, but is a safety feature to ground the metal chassis. A three prong plug replacement is also not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          As to the broken input jack, is it (was it) soldered to the circuit board or are there wires connected to it?
          The jack is soldered directly onto the PC board.

Comment

I went and looked at mine in the garage. The jack is soldered to the board at four pins. You will probably want to remove board to solder new jack, but all connections are plugs, so board removal should be painless (no de-soldering required). Three prong cord simply unplugs from connectors.

Comment

Have you checked the speaker to be sure that it works? Does the amp have a headphone jack? Sometimes those can be problematic

Comment

Regardless of any other problems, you will need to replace the input jack if it is broken. Probably the best known brand of that type jack is CLiff, and we often call them "Cliff jacks" even when another brand. AMp part suppliers understand "Cliff jacks" most times if you ask for them.

There may be a fiber washer between the jack and the panel. Or now rolling loose inside. The Crate people used jacks with offset legs, so if you install a centered leg jack, it will work fine, but you may need to add a washer.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                X