MXR Omni Flanger/Chorus inop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Omni Flanger/Chorus inop

Need some help here, I have a MXR Omni effects unit and the flanger/chorus effect is NW. I checked the bias voltage and clock signal, both are present. There is a input and output at the sad1024 chip, I'm not exactly sure how they sould look but the output is following the clock signal. The LED comes on, the direct signal is present but no effect. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Not sure this will help, but I've seen a potentiometer open up on one unit a while back that had me confused for a bit. May want to verify correct values on those pots.

Comment

Good idea, checked all the pots in the circuit. All OK

Would've been nice if one was open though...

Checked all the solder joints too, just to make sure. No problems there either.

Comment

I thought the Omni used SAD4096 chips?

Comment

It does have a sad4096 for the delay section, the flanger/chorus has the sad1024.

Comment

When the wet signal is omitted, any flanging or chorus effect will disappear. Consequently, it is extremely common for manufacturers to simply cancel the wet signal as their "bypass" technique. The dry signal will continue to pass in both bypass and effect mode. I don't have a schematic of an Omni (wish I did, though!), so I may be off. Possible that the switching arrangement for lifting/enabling the wet signal has gone awry? So, is there a JFET or CMOS switch that might have blown?

Comment

There is a flip/flop in both the flanger/chorus and delay circuits, not sure what for but I'll check this out later. CD4013BE

I wish I could find the schematic also, I checked with a few local repairmen but no luck so far.

Comment

The 4013 is used to supply a clock signal to the delay ICs.

You can buy the schematic here: MXR Schematics. It's $20 but if you send me a copy I'll pay half.

Comment

Actually, if you send me a copy as well, I'll pay a third!
                  Interested in old, rare, unusual or just plain bizarre music equipment?
                  www.nicosonic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nyqusit5 View Post
                    Actually, if you send me a copy as well, I'll pay a third!
                    Did you ever buy the document? I've seen one for sale that is missing the delay/flange IC chips and want to figure out if its worth buying. No such thing as a pin for pin replacement, right? Thnaks

Comment

Hi,
                      Unfortunately, I never got it.
                      I don't know of a replacement for the SAD4096, apart from building a small add-on board with another BBD and associated adaptive circuit. I wish I did!
                      Interested in old, rare, unusual or just plain bizarre music equipment?
                      www.nicosonic.com

Comment

Working...
                      X