Hum/Squealing from 5E3 Deluxe Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum/Squealing from 5E3 Deluxe Build

Hey, I recently built a 5E3 Deluxe copy using the Fender Schematic, which in the beginning turned out to be great and sounded wonderful. I had to redo a few things a couple of times because of laziness while soldering, but now whenever I play through the amp, I get a significant amount of hum. Also, when there is nothing plugged into the amplifier and I turn up the volume controls on either channel, I get a loud high-pitched squeal from the speaker.

The speaker is a Jensen 12" Mod
    The power tubes are 6L6s
    The preamp tubes are 12AU7s.
    The rectifier is a 5Y3

I've tried different sets of 6L6 tubes and other preamp tubes, including 12AX7s and 12T7s and neither reduce the hum. I've also tried a 5U4 rectifier which didn't do anything either.
    If you are able to help that would be greatly appreciated.

swap the wires on pin 3 of each output tube with each other?

Try with the correct preamp tubes and output tubes (12Ay7, 12Ax7, 2x6V6)?

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
      swap the wires on pin 3 of each output tube with each other?
      Hi TD

How does that work on a 5E3 (where there is no GFB loop)? (I thought squealing that could be cured by swapping the OT primaries was related to positive feedback - caused by having the GFB loop off the "wrong" side of the OT sec, which swapping the primaries would thenceforth rectify. But I stand to be corrected)

I was wondering whether the problem in this instance might be caused by bad soldering (if the problem occurred after the OP re-soldered something)

Cheers
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Hey thanks for the posts. I connected the input jacks directly to ground, which seems to have fixed the problem and I still get volume through the speaker. The input jacks I'm using are from an old Gibson amp from the sixties, so I'm not so sure they're very good anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
          Hi TD

How does that work on a 5E3 (where there is no GFB loop)? (I thought squealing that could be cured by swapping the OT primaries was related to positive feedback - caused by having the GFB loop off the "wrong" side of the OT sec, which swapping the primaries would thenceforth rectify. But I stand to be corrected)

I was wondering whether the problem in this instance might be caused by bad soldering (if the problem occurred after the OP re-soldered something)

Cheers
          Sometimes when an amp is built up by a novice, the lead dress leaves "something" to be desired and there is too much capacitive coupling that is similar to NFB and reversing the OT primary leads seems to cure it.... yes, rare.
          Bruce

Mission Amps
          Denver, CO. 80022
          www.missionamps.com
          303-955-2412

Comment

You say you used the "Fender Schematic". Did you ground one side of the heater (6.3V) supply and connect to the chassis at each tube socket?
            WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
            REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
            X