build, 15W with a pair of EL84's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• build, 15W with a pair of EL84's

Im going to do a Voxish amp, EF 86 preamp, 12AT7 PI and a pair of EL84's for the output tubes.
    I was wanting a multi tap OT, the OT for a blues JR has 6800 ohms, and the Vox has 6300 ohms, could I get away with this? Will it loose some of it's mojo? Is this the "wrong thing to do" ethically?

Also, I'm looking for a choke, I can get Hammond for pretty much cost, but they only seem to have the choke for an AC 30, either 5 or 30h.
    The AC15 from what I see has a 20h choke, would I be best off with a 30h, and do I raise or drop my filter caps values because of this?

Thanks,

Leif

the mojotone ac15 OT is 6k primary,
    Mojo Transformers VOX Style AC-15 Output Transformer

while I am more accustomed to running 2xEL84 PP at 8-8.8k primary, the lower primary imp. could be expected to push the tubes harder.

I might go with a Edcor CXPP45-MS-6.6K ($40 less than Mojo) or CXPP25-MS-8K for about half price.The "universal" Hammond 125e only gives you choices of 8.8, 8.6, 6.8,6.4, 5.8 5.6 k primary with 4/8 ohm speakers, and its a little small under-engineered and expensive IMO.

Comment

is there a fender/marshall/vox etc. cross ref for edcor?
      Last edited by scole; 01-12-2010, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Heyboer for 18 watt Marshalls? A lot of people like the vintage clones.

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
          Heyboer for 18 watt Marshalls? A lot of people like the vintage clones.
          how about fender? who makes the best transformer for a fender?

Comment

Working...
          X