General Info On Building An Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Info On Building An Amplifier

Hi, I'm pretty new to building/designing guitar tube amplifiers. I recently assembled a 5w champ amp kit so I'm not totally new to this. I was looking for someone to direct me to a book/class/website or any other media that would teach me how to actually learn tube amp design. Like each of the stages of the amp, what each resistor or capacitor actually affects where it's put and why. Pick the tubes you need and learn how to make a schematic that would fit their needs, etc. I supposed i'm looking for the theory's and equations behind building these kinds of amplifiers. Thanks

Ken Orefice
    Cuttingedgeny@gmail.com

Originally posted by cuttingedgeny View Post
    Hi, I'm pretty new to building/designing guitar tube amplifiers. I recently assembled a 5w champ amp kit so I'm not totally new to this. I was looking for someone to direct me to a book/class/website or any other media that would teach me how to actually learn tube amp design. Like each of the stages of the amp, what each resistor or capacitor actually affects where it's put and why. Pick the tubes you need and learn how to make a schematic that would fit their needs, etc. I supposed i'm looking for the theory's and equations behind building these kinds of amplifiers. Thanks

Ken Orefice
    Cuttingedgeny@gmail.com

AX84.com! Great group!

Also Merlin's book ($)

How to design valve guitar amplifiers

and Pete Millet's amazing collection of online books:
    Technical books online

Comment

Kevin O'Connors series of books cover everything from novice to advanced and will take you as far as you want to go.

Tube Amp Kits, Tube Amp Books, Tube Amplifiers by London Power
      Last edited by loudthud; 01-12-2010, 06:31 PM.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

I always go back to the articles by Norman H Crowhurst at Audio express. He covers alot of the basic ground and doesn't take too many jumps of faith in the sense that what your reading doesn't suppose any great amount of ready knowledge and most especially that if you jump forward to so and so you'll then get why I'm doing this now.

I find that its a balancing affair between what I've got, as regards tubes, transformers, PT' and OT's, the knowledge required to actually design around those particular elements and then a fair amount of finding schematics that have a part of them that does what you want it to do... with the parts and voltages you have on hand... plus, of course, the data books like the RCA and GE manuals.

Comment

The site: How to design valve guitar amplifiers is good. Also, the book advertised on that site has been great for me. "Designing Valve Preamps by M Blencowe"

Comment

AX84 has aldready been mentioned, but in particular - checkout the "P1 Theory" document. I think it may be exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.ax84.com/p1/P1_Theory_Document.zip

Comment

Thank you to everybody for all the great information. You guys supplied me with alot! I have some studying to do. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X