5e3 OT ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5e3 OT ?

Hey guys , I'm about to start a 5e3 build and I have a Mercury Magnetics OT .
    The OT has 4 wires,blue,white/orange & black/red primary (input) and only 1 wire(Yellow) for the output.I'm assuming the White/Orange is my B+ and the blue and black/red are for #3 pins of the power tubes. Then the Yellow goes to my speaker jack pos(+), where do I get a ground for the speaker jack? There is a coiled magnet wire grounded to the A frame of the transformer? Thanks in advance.

Chuck.

By the way ,the transformers are MM Tone Clones for 5e3 builds.

chuck.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I guess it must be a dumb ? Perhaps Mercury Magnetics can help me. Thanks anyway.

Chuck.

Comment

Chuck, are you "asking" if there is a coiled magnet wire soldered to the frame? I would guess YES. This link might help. Your OT may not be the exact same one, but I will guess again that it wires up the same way.

Mercury Tweed Deluxe OT

If your speaker jack is mounted directly to your metal chassis, then it is already grounded. Otherwise, you will still need to ground the sleeve of the speaker jack.
          "The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar."
          - Jimi Hendrix

http://www.detempleguitars.com

Comment

Hey thanks, Yes that's the exact same one I have. My speaker input jack will be mounted to the chassis so I won't need a ground the input jack sleeve? Am I right with the placement of the other wires on the primary(input) as I've described ? I really appreciate your help here,thanks.

Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
              Hey thanks, Yes that's the exact same one I have. My speaker input jack will be mounted to the chassis so I won't need a ground the input jack sleeve? Am I right with the placement of the other wires on the primary(input) as I've described ? I really appreciate your help here,thanks.

Chuck.
              Very vintage old Fender Deluxe OTs had their negative lead soldered right to the channel rail of the output tranny.
              All you need to do is make darn sure the OT channel mount isn't covered with lacquer, it is solidly connected to the chassis with a good star washer under it and under the head of the screw that mounts it to the chassis.
              Now, also be sure your speaker jacks are firmly connected to the chassis with a big star washer under the bushing (from the inside of the chassis) and it should be good to go.... you'll be fine.
              Attached Files
              Bruce

Mission Amps
              Denver, CO. 80022
              www.missionamps.com
              303-955-2412

Comment

Hey Bruce, Thanks for the response. I'll make sure that I have everything grounded as you said. You guys are a great help to those of us who are still learning and I really appreciate it. There is a friend of mine that's a amp tech that has alot of knowledge, but does'nt seem to eagar to share with me. I love to build and create things with my own hands and I get great satisfaction from doing so. I have found that this fourm is the place where I can learn from people who are there to help. I guess when it comes to amp building and considering the dangers involved with HT ,no question is a dumb question. Thanks again.

Chuck.

Comment

Working...
                X