stromberg pa to guitar amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stromberg pa to guitar amp

i know its very common to convert a pa amp into a guitar amp. i found an old stromberg carlson sau-10 pa amp at woprk. it has 6av6 and a 6au6 tube in the pre amp, a 5y3 recto and 1 6l6. it was made in the 50's. i wonder if i should change the pre amp to 12ax7's or are the 6a's ok.

Look up the 6AV6 and the 6AU6 in data sheets. Look up 12AX7. You wil find that the 12AX7 is two triodes in one tube. Each one is the same as the triode in the 6AV6. SO the 6AV6 is really half a 12AX7. That might be useful. The 6AU6 is a pentode - high gain - and might be interesting to work with. Those tubes could make an interesting little amp, sure. Otherwise, gutting the amp and building your own circuit in there would be an OK idea too. Keep in mind the 12AX7 has a nine pin base, while the 6AV6 and 6AU6 have seven pin bases, so you would need to enlarge the holes and mount new 9-pin sockets if you alter the plan.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

hi enzo, this thing has two ways in, an rca jack and a mic input. im thinking i can take out the rca jack and put in a mono jack, now do i just wire direct or put in the 68k resistor?

Comment

Who knows? That is what experimenting and learning something in the process is all about.

Are the mic and RCA inputs of equal gain? You might find the differences useful, or prefer one over the other.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X