Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox AC30-like tone

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a new amp, but I'm not sure what to buy. I've played various amps, including Vox AC30 and Fender Deluxe Reverb (and other blackface models) and have concluded that I want something like that. I want something that is sort of a cross between an AC30 and a Deluxe Reverb but I can't figure out what qualifies as this. I like the crisp, clean Deluxe Reverb tone and the AC30 crunchy, warm drive tone. My budget is somewhat limited, preferably something around $700-$800.

Thanks.

Find a used Crate V30 or V32 (same amp, different tolex color), or go smaller/simpler with the V15 or V16. These are very nice sounding amps that kind of fit that tonal ground you've described, more to the Vox side of things.

Comment

You make the amp yourself and put 6V6s in the output stage. I've done this before with the AC30 circuit and it worked well.

Use the input into the other side of the PI to connect a Fender BF-type of preamp (or just use mixing resistors and connect both channels to the same side of the PI. this would give you the option of running NFB on the Fender channel with a relay added to remove the NFB when the Vox channel was used).
      HTH - Heavier Than Hell

Comment

I was told I needed a THD Yellow Jacket to mix 6V6s and EL84s. Is that true?

Comment

Working...
        X