Line-in confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line-in confusion

Hi. I’m a newbie so please excuse my ignorance here… I have a Behringer GMX212, which is more than adequate for the few chords and scales that I have learnt so far.

Having played with a few stomp boxes and effects processors, I’m no longer happy with the amps limited effects and “dodgy” amp models. Also, the amp is a bit noisy. There’s a fair amount of hiss when you turn up the treble, even on the low gain tweed mode. The hi-gain modes sound really noisy.

So I plugged my guitar into the AUX-IN which seems to bypass the EQ and effects – but leaves the volume control working. This helped a bit, but there’s still some noise (preamp noise?) when you turn up the volume. I then plugged my my distortion pedal's “out” into the “slave-in” and weh-hey! It completely bypasses the pre-amp and master volume control (hardly a problem as my pedals have EQ and level) and it sounds so much better! Much more open, (more spacey, less compressed) clearer and absolutely zero hum & hiss – unless I jack up the gain on the distortion pedal but even then it’s less hissy.

My question is… am I doing anything seriously wrong? Everything has worked fine so far, but I’ve just ordered a Boss ME-70 (gets here next week) and I’m concerned about breaking it. I could run it in stereo via the aux-in or slave-in, but I think slave will sound clearer. Obviously the master volume control on the pedal will have to be used to control the amps volume, but I think it’s a small price to pay for such a clear sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’ve Googled this to Hell, but to no avail.

I don't think so. Most tube equipment to my ear hisses like a snake, even in spite of what some others have seem to preach to me about. -sorry

-g

Comment

No, it won't break anything. The slave in just bypasses all of the preamp circuitry and goes straight into the power amp.

Mooreamps, the GMX212 doesn't have a single tube in it.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Working...
      X