Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Les Paul Clean Clip

Hi everybody!

I'm new here and I have a problem with my Epiphone Les Paul Classic Gold Top (with humbuckers) bought in August 2006. I have a weird clip sound when I play my guitar directly into the amp in the clean channel. I've tried it into different amps and it's always the same: the weird clip sound is still there. I don't have any idea about what it is. You could listen to a clip that I've recorded directly from the guitar, to the amp, to the computer.
    Here it is: Weird Les Paul Clip Sound

Could you help me? What's the problem? I don't know what to do!!

Thank you very much!!

Cheers!!!

Originally posted by PhiLiaS View Post
    Hi everybody!

I'm new here and I have a problem with my Epiphone Les Paul Classic Gold Top (with humbuckers) bought in August 2006. I have a weird clip sound when I play my guitar directly into the amp in the clean channel. I've tried it into different amps and it's always the same: the weird clip sound is still there. I don't have any idea about what it is. You could listen to a clip that I've recorded directly from the guitar, to the amp, to the computer.
    Here it is: Weird Les Paul Clip Sound

Could you help me? What's the problem? I don't know what to do!!

Thank you very much!!

Cheers!!!
    Are you using the same cable all the time? It sounds like you might be building up a difference in ground potential.
    www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Originally posted by chevalij View Post
      Are you using the same cable all the time? It sounds like you might be building up a difference in ground potential.
      Yes, I am. I only changed the volume of my amp to see what happened at different values... so, do u know what's the problem? I don't know what to do :S.

Thank u!!

Comment

Yes, I am. I only changed the volume of my amp to see what happened at different values... so, do u know what's the problem? I don't know what to do :S.

Thank u!!
        Not positively no.. What I'm hearing, just so we're troubleshooting the same thing, is the sound going from thin to full (or vice versa). Does it happen in all switch positions? If so, I'd try a different cable. If not, I'd probably be suspecting a tone cap or the soldering there of..

I listened to the clips again (and again), are you referring to the small initial "spike" at each string...
        www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

Not positively no.. What I'm hearing, just so we're troubleshooting the same thing, is the sound going from thin to full (or vice versa). Does it happen in all switch positions? If so, I'd try a different cable. If not, I'd probably be suspecting a tone cap or the soldering there of..
          I've already tried with different cables, and it happens in all switch positions (I changed it during the recording several times). And as you could hear, the clip appears when you stroke it... it's like the guitar is saturating the amp, but I'm using the clean channel, so I don't know how it could saturate the clean channel at low volume... any idea?
          Could it be the tone capacitor? I've never touched it!!

Thank u again!!

Cheers!

Comment

I've already tried with different cables, and it happens in all switch positions (I changed it during the recording several times). And as you could hear, the clip appears when you stroke it... it's like the guitar is saturating the amp, but I'm using the clean channel, so I don't know how it could saturate the clean channel at low volume... any idea?
            Could it be the tone capacitor? I've never touched it!!

Thank u again!!

Cheers!
            hmm.. Gibson's have separate tone caps for each pickup.. so shouldn't be that. Just to confirm, is this only when recording, or is it heard straight from the amp(s)?
            www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

hmm.. Gibson's have separate tone caps for each pickup.. so shouldn't be that. Just to confirm, is this only when recording, or is it heard straight from the amp(s)?
              Not just when recording. I hear exactly the same when it comes straight from the amp...

Comment

Not just when recording. I hear exactly the same when it comes straight from the amp...
                I'm stumped... If this is a new problem, I'd check all the wiring and probably clean and retention the input jack.

Maybe others will have better suggestions?
                www.chevalierpickups.com

Comment

I'm stumped... If this is a new problem, I'd check all the wiring and probably clean and retention the input jack.

Maybe others will have better suggestions?
                  OK, I will do it! But if someone could give me some more advice... I would be very thankful!!

Thanks!!

Comment

Does it happen with a different amp?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                      Does it happen with a different amp?
                      Yep. I've tried it with at least 3 different amps. The problem is the guitar, but I don't know what's the problem exactly!! :S

Cheers!

Comment

how close are the pickups to the strings?

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
                          how close are the pickups to the strings?
                          I think they could be close, but I don't know how much. Do u think it could be for that? What's the perfect distance for that?

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                          X