Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Experts here please!! Questions about 50's wiring and caps. Why 400V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experts here please!! Questions about 50's wiring and caps. Why 400V?

Hi, I have a LP copy with original 57's classic paf pickups. I hated the treble loss while lowering the volume , so I tried the 50's wiring. Every thing goes fine but some minor issues.
    Circuit parts:2 Audio pots for volume, 2Linear for tone, 2x0.033uf
    30V dc Sprague orange caps.(not ceramic)
    Here is my questiones(too many!!):

1.When I opened the circuit I found the cables from the PU's wired to the middle lug of volume and the caps too wired to the middle lug of both volume and tone pot.
    Is this a correct type of wiring? What is the difference between wiring PU's to middle and outer lug of the volume pot?

2.Did the 50's and It works.But it seems the tone of my guitar changed a bit. What may be the reason? Also tone pots reacting different, I cant feel the roll of treble until 3. Why?

3.What is the point of using caps for 400V dc rating?

4.I found 0.022uf 400V japan made paper oil caps from an old japanese guitar. Should I replace my spragues with these? Does it worth?

I'm not an expert but i did some mods on my sg and strat using this site. It all worked out real well just followed the directions. Good luck! Oh and i bought some original bumblebee capacitors from a place called angela instruments on the web they were only like 4.50 each so i could have the vintage wiring in my sg. Only downfall is angela only takes orders by phone good luck. http://www.singlecoil.com/frmset.html

Comment

a Picture is worth 1000 words.

56 Control Cavity Photo #1
      "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

a Picture is worth 1000 words.

56 Control Cavity Photo #2
        "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

The reason for the 400v caps is because they already stocked them in most cases for amp work, and since it is cheaper to buy in bulk and use something you already have, that is why they did it. A 10v cap is plenty for guitars, but there can be a sound difference by using the physically larger 400v cap.

Comment

Working...
          X