cheap resistor source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap resistor source?

I want to buy a large number of resistors and was hoping someone could point me towards a good source. An assortment is fine, but i also need them to be very reasonable on separate pieces because assortments never have enough of certain values, and i don't want to order 100 pieces separately and have to pay a quarter apiece. 1 watters are what i need if that helps choose the best source.

Mouser, Allied, Digikey, etc.

Unless you are looking for some you-betcha extra special resistors, selling general parts is what these houses do.

Not sure what you consider a large number. Peavey or fender buys them by the million. I buy smaller wattages by the 100.

Mouser:
    100k 1W 5% - 16 cents each or 8 cents each in a 100 lot. Or if you are talking a lot 6 cents in the 1000 lot.

Digikey:
    100k 1W 5% - 16 cents each or 7.4 cents in 100 lot or 4.5 cents in 1000 lot.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I found a place that sells 1 watt metal film for 12 cents with a $10 or $20 minimum which is well under the $60 something bucks i spent.

Comment

Vishay CCF60 at 0.06 each on Mouser?...
        -Mike

Comment

Those are 1/2w and he specd 1w.
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Hmm, what's with the data sheet, they're speced 1/2 watt, 3/4 watt, and 1 watt.
            -Mike

Comment

They make them in those wattages, the data sheet covers the series. When I go to Mouser and hunt up CCF60, the only ones they show are the 1/2w ones. So perhaps Mouser only sells the 1/2's from the series. beats me.

Comment

Gotcha.
                -Mike

Comment

Mouser is one of the best sources for components, period, followed by Digi-Key. When it comes to small resistors, I almost always order 1000 to get the end column price, which is usually pretty ridiculous.
                  John R. Frondelli
                  dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

I've ordered quite a bit of stuff from here and have been really satisfied. Not sure how the prices compare, but I didn't think they were outrageous.

Antique Radio Schematics and Capacitors for Tube Radios

Comment

FWIW, Mouser has a 1/2W carbon-film kit consisting of 200 pieces each of what looks like about 70 different values between 2.2R and 3.3M, all for $100. If my math is right, that comes to something like $.007 per resistor.

Part # 370-293-C-RC

Added:

Oops, looks like they have none in stock. Factory Lead-Time: 10 Weeks. Oh well.
                      Last edited by otto pärt; 01-25-2010, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Kits are swell if you need every value under the sun. But really if you are working in tube amps, look over a few fender schematics and a couple Marshall schematics, and make up a list. Instead of loading up on 510 ohm 3.9 ohm and other values you will never use, just buy 100 count bags of 100k 220k 1.5k and so on. The common values.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                          Kits are swell if you need every value under the sun. But really if you are working in tube amps, look over a few fender schematics and a couple Marshall schematics, and make up a list. Instead of loading up on 510 ohm 3.9 ohm and other values you will never use, just buy 100 count bags of 100k 220k 1.5k and so on. The common values.
                          This is a good idea, particularly if you are intent on stocking pricier Carbon Comp resistors. There's no need to buy the farm if all you need is twenty cows!
                          John R. Frondelli
                          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
                          X