Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faint signal at zero volume

Hey everyone,
    I am troubleshooting a home-built AB763 Super Reverb.

I can hear a faint signal coming through the amp when the volume is at zero. I have double and triple checked the wiring in the amp but I am wondering if I missed something that is allowing the signal to somehow bypass the volume control and get into the later stages.

Is there a typical explanation for this behavior that I can check?
    Thanks !
    Josh

Try grounding the wiper/grid connection of the volume control with a jumper wire. If the signal goes away, the pot is not zeroing.

If the signal continues, then I would guess that there is some leakage happening somewhere in your layout. You can try grounding out the signal path through a cap at various stages to see where the signal is coming from.

Comment

It is called crosstalk, and unless it is interfering with the function of the amp, I wouldn;t consider it a problem.

The earlier stages of the amp are making signal, and that radiates aropuns inside the amp. So when you turn down the volume - which is really in the middle of the amp - the parts of the amp after that copntrol have enough gain to pick up that feeble radiated signal and send it to your speaker.
      Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Also try swapping out the pre amp tubes.

Comment

Working...
        X