Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniMoog model D, tuning filters, I need help

hi folks,
    Has anyone had any experience tuning the filters of a old Mini Moog model D ?

Using the user manual i have figured out how to tune the osilators, by setting the pitch potentiometer and then turning the range potentiometer so that the notes spread out and land on the right keys....

but its the process for tuning the Filters that im having issues with , i tried to follow the technical service manualsl procedure but i am finding parts of its explanation more confusing than helpful ...

here is where i found the tech manual -
    User manual MOOG MINIMOOG MODEL D - User guide MOOG MINIMOOG MODEL D - TECHNICAL SERVICE MANUAL - English - Diplodocs

has anyone here ever tried to tune the filters on a minimoog D , how did you make out, is the manual making it more confusing than it really is ? can you give me a simple overview of what im supposed to do(the procedure in plain simple language)...

If anyone can help I'd much appreciate it

thank you

http://www.fantasyjackpalance.com/fj...-manual-23.gif

Above is the tuning procedure for the filter. Basically, you turn off the oscillators, calibrate the resonance threshold adjustment so that it's just barely self-oscillating when the emphasis is turned up to 7.5, and then you tune it just like the oscillators.

What is the confusing part for you? Without knowing it's hard to know what to clarify.

Comment

hi uvacom

Im using a relatives PC at their house , so i havent got the tech manual in front of me right now, its back at my house... i will bring it with me tomorrow and point out the parts of it that seem a bit confusing to me and maybe you can shine some light on the parts that are messing me up.

The tech manual is also slightly different in the way it explains the procedure than the excerpt from the owners manual you just posted, I have the one you posted too. I will post again tomorrow when i have the Tech manual in front of me..

uvacom have you had experience tuning these filters ?, If the method that you describe works then i would just as well ignore the tech manual and use your way which seems a lot easier and straight forward ...

Big thanks for responding uvacom , please be patient till tomorrow when i will have the manual in front of me, so i can better explain what im getting confused about .

thank you

Comment

Full disclosure. I tuned a minimoog D up once about 8 years ago. I'm not a professional tech myself (3rd year EE student), I was about 18 at the time and a friend of mine came into some money and bought one but didn't know how to use it. I tuned it up, figured out how it worked, and showed my friend which knobs to turn to make it make squiggly synth sounds, which is all he wanted to do with it. That's my one and only experience with the Minimoog. I am, however, building a clone of the filter right now, so that really helps. I'm working on s-domain analysis of it right now, as a matter of fact.

The process is pretty straightforward. The threshold adjustment is noncritical, except if you turn it all the way in one direction it might make the filter unstable, all the way the other direction it might not self-oscillate. The other adjustment just tunes the filter to the reference pitch so that when you drive the filter into self-oscillation it will be in tune and can be played with the keyboard if you apply keytracking. Other than that, that adjustment is also not really critical (especially since it's only "in tune" when the cutoff knob is set to that arbitrary "-1.1" value).

Comment

Working...
        X