Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dev notes

Hi guys,
    In the interest of disseminating knowledge, and possibly helping define more tone vocabulary, I thought I'd start a thread regarding my recent working with Alnico 4. This is not definitive, but I'd like to see if it is valuable. Please chime in, all terse and rude comments welcome too (you know who you are!).

The Experiment:
    I've been winding one set of coils, and then experimenting with the magnet. This is soderon 42AWG (pvc I think?), bobbins from GJ, 50mm, regular slugs and screws also GJ. Bridge position. The p'up was wound to 9.1k resistance. Ibanez ARC160, all Mahogany.

Take one and two: The original had A5 magnets. Pretty nice, but not enough highs in a mahogany body, a bit lackluster. Switched to A8. Yummy! Nice highs, lots of output, maybe a bit compressed, but OK if you can control your volume knob. Still bassy enough for the "chug".

A4: The A4 is from Mojo, magnetized with Neo discs from StewMac. This magnet is often placed in pickups that need to sound "Brown." The overall effect is that the lows and highs are almost identical to A5, but something very interesting happens. At first I didn't catch it, but as I began to throw all the usual power chords and mode scales at it, I noticed that the harmonics were jumping out much more easily. The sound is warm (aka, good upper content, harmonically rich). I read somewhere that A4 adds upper mids, so that might be the reason for the increased harmonic content. Next I'll put the magnet in a 14.2k bridge in a strat and see what happens.

Terms that need definition:
    Brown. As far as I can tell, this magnet jives completely with the definition I have heard: warm, full, defined highs, enough output to cause an amp to break up smoothly. Very 70's. I'd add an interesting ability toward harmonic content.
    Warm. I'd like to hear more from you about this

TIA for you input.
    Shannon Hooge
    NorthStar Guitar
    northstarguitar.com

For some reason, I cant send PMs. Just wanted to let you know your magnets arrived Thanks!
    Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by automan View Post
      For some reason, I cant send PMs. Just wanted to let you know your magnets arrived Thanks!
      Are you logged in?

Comment

I thought your descriptions were very clear. I think we have our worst descriptors when we stick to basic one dimensional metrics.... warm vs. bright, high output vs. low, dynamic vs. compressed, etc. Then we start over using words and label something before really listening critically.

I'm no authority, but how you define "brown" is similar to how I define it. It is a tone tending towards warmer overtones and not sharper ones, with a nice compression and overdrive that isn't sizzly or distracting. I typically associate "brown" with amps, like when a set of power tubes bias just right, but in this case I think I know what you mean.

Warm to some means bassy but without being muddy. No offense to lovers of the "woman tone", but it is a bit more than where to set a tone knob if you listen closely. Warm to me means having a structured, more acoustic timbre with enough compression not to be really percussive. If I play an instrument I deem "warm", I find myself playing slower lines or jazz chord melodies because I'm enjoying the tone and sustain so much.

Talking about what you hear challenges you to listen more critically to describe what you're hearing better, and it is a big cycle that really improves the ear. Thanks for the thread!

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
          No offense to lovers of the "woman tone"
          I literally laughed out loud when I read that. Every married man reading this thread knows 110% what you are talking about.
          Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by automan View Post
            Every married man reading this thread knows 110% what you are talking about.
            You mean that screechy whining annoying sound that makes you want to rip your ears off?

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              You mean that screechy whining annoying sound that makes you want to rip your ears off?

I think you're confusing Eric Clapton with Neil Young.

Comment

Working...
              X