Fender Hotrod Deville prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Hotrod Deville prob.

I just had this in the shop. Retube/ rebias. New output tubes biased at 30mA/ 440Vp. Returned it to the customer. I get complaints 2 weeks later about how it sounds bad. So I take it back and check the tubes. They read extremely low (8/10mA). I turned the bias supply all the way up and got 10/12mA with the supply voltage at -44vdc. I put in a new pair of tubes and they biased properly. I dont know what can cause this. Screen, grid, and plate resistors all check good. Suggestions?

Look VERY closely at the solder on the pins of the 6L6 sockets. ANy cracks? I just automatically resolder them when I open one of these anymore.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I did see some suspicious joints. I soldered them up and I still get the same readings. Did it cook the recently replaced tubes? I find that hard to believe. There isn't any burning on the tubes they just all of sudden read really low. Should I replace the tubes with new 6L6's and wait for the amp to come back again? The cust. claims it sounded great for about a week or two of moderate use and then it started "farting out" on him. That would be the low bias I can assume.

Comment

What kind of tubes were they ? Do you see any signs of dark paint on the tube lettering showing they may have gotten cooked ?
        KB

Comment

The reason I replaced the tubes in the first place is because they were reading low current (12mA~18mA). The cust. at the time was still complaining about the same "farting" problem. I could get them to bias at the lowest recommended current for the plate voltage which was about 27mA but I had the bias supply pot maxed out. I didn't like that. Since the tubes were the originals from the factory and showed some burning on the envelope I decided they should be replaced. I monitored this on a scope with a 4mV input signal (sine), clean channel, tone knobs set to 50%, vol. set between 50% for 15 min. and 100% for another 15 with an 8ohm dummy load. I could see no spikes, noise or inconsistencies. Also ran it on the dirty channel for about 20 min. with no problems either.

Comment

Nope. Not cooked. Thats what my first guess was. I was thinking a screen resistors was intermittent. Maybe I just got some bad tubes from EH?

Comment

HA! Im right. Just ran it through the ringer one more time and I got it to fail. Seems the current shoots through the roof on one of the tubes. It looks to me to be a faulty screen resistor! Thanks guys for the input.

Comment

Why do you think the screen is faulty ? 6L6's pull very little screen current and even a dead shorted screen may not red plate a 6L6. A higher resistance probably wouldn't cause thermal runnaway and an open wouldn't work at all. I would also check the coupling caps and make sure they aren't passing DC when it gets hot.
                KB

Comment

I didnt know that about 6L6's. You were right. It was one of the coupling caps. Thank you!

Comment

Not thinking about a shorted screen or excess screen current, but an open or seriously elevated screen resistor will result in the tube not conducting.
                    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                    X