Simple pot question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple pot question

In a given master volume circuit, what (if any) would be the AUDIBLE difference in a 500k pot vs. a 1Meg pot?

bump

Comment

If you are already using a 1meg pot, and are not able to get a usable sweep in the first half of the rotation, then it may help do that. If you use a 1meg pot and it is typically set and more than 2/3 rotation you won't get the 500K pot into the zone.

But really it's a very open ended question given the number of master volume arrangements that there are.

Comment

"If you are already using a 1meg pot, and are not able to get a usable sweep in the first half of the rotation, then it may help do that."

With an un-useable sweep meaning that the sweep is running from zero to max TOO quickly? Going to 500k would "spread" or "lengthen" the sweep? I always thought the reverse would be true - but if I knew for sure, I wouldn't be asking - lol.

"If you use a 1meg pot and it is typically set and more than 2/3 rotation you won't get the 500K pot into the zone."

Huh? Not following you on this one...

Thanks,

Fred G.

Comment

Yes, if the 1Meg pot comes on too strong, too fast then a 500KA will give you a greater sweep.

But if your 1Meg pot is usually set at more than 2/3 rotation (e.g. above 500K) then subbing to a 500KA pot will mean that you will have a usable sweep over the whole range of the pot's rotation but may never be able to set it high enough for a clean tone.

Comment

Working...
          X