Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to integrate an FX pedal circuit onboard an amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to integrate an FX pedal circuit onboard an amp?

I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about wiring an effect pedal onboard an amp? I have a Peavey 6505+ and used to run a BBE Sonic Stomp thru the FX loop. It sounded amazing. Lately I haven't been in order to simplify my setup. I've done a bias mod, upped the gain, choke mod, noise reduction mod, and have just gotten info on how to change my crunch button on my footswitch to actuate a relay in the amp to switch between a 250k pot and a 1meg resistor in my feedback loop to act as a solo boost switch. So now that I have all that, I can use just my footswitch to switch on the fx loop for my delay and use the crunch button to activate the "solo boost" I created. I can leave all my pedals back in a case on top of the amp and only have to use short cables instead of a bunch of tangled up mess. Only one cable out to the front of the stage to my footswitch. I'd like to keep it that way and be able to run my Sonic Stomp, but independently of the FX loop so it can be on at all times and my FX loop is solely for the delay. I understand that in order to get the same affect from the Sonic Stomp, it would have to be inserted somewhere in between the preamp and poweramp. I'm planning on using just the circuit board from the pedal and wiring up to the innards of my amp. I'm just not sure exactly where to wire it up. And such things as getting power and if anything special has to be done to run such a device within the amp circuit. And also so it's not affected by the FX loop switch but still between the pre and power amp. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it...... Thank you kindly in advance!!!

Originally posted by SoulsCry View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows how to go about wiring an effect pedal onboard an amp? I have a Peavey 6505+ and used to run a BBE Sonic Stomp thru the FX loop. It sounded amazing. Lately I haven't been in order to simplify my setup. I've done a bias mod, upped the gain, choke mod, noise reduction mod, and have just gotten info on how to change my crunch button on my footswitch to actuate a relay in the amp to switch between a 250k pot and a 1meg resistor in my feedback loop to act as a solo boost switch. So now that I have all that, I can use just my footswitch to switch on the fx loop for my delay and use the crunch button to activate the "solo boost" I created. I can leave all my pedals back in a case on top of the amp and only have to use short cables instead of a bunch of tangled up mess. Only one cable out to the front of the stage to my footswitch. I'd like to keep it that way and be able to run my Sonic Stomp, but independently of the FX loop so it can be on at all times and my FX loop is solely for the delay. I understand that in order to get the same affect from the Sonic Stomp, it would have to be inserted somewhere in between the preamp and poweramp. I'm planning on using just the circuit board from the pedal and wiring up to the innards of my amp. I'm just not sure exactly where to wire it up. And such things as getting power and if anything special has to be done to run such a device within the amp circuit. And also so it's not affected by the FX loop switch but still between the pre and power amp. If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it...... Thank you kindly in advance!!!
    Woah.....Does it (I think it does) have pre-out and a main in jacks? If it does just plug it into that. You could wire it to the same spots internally but why bother. If you do that then you are going to have to find a source to regulate a 9v supply from or you might be able to just mount a wall wort inside if it doesn't radiate into everything. It isn't as easy as it sounds.

Comment

You can run a pedal from the preamp out and into the main input jack? Is that safe? Never heard of it before. If it is, heck yeah I'll do it. Saves more modding and tearing the amp apart. Although I'm having fun learning all this stuff. Will it sound the same as running it through the FX Loop? The Sonic Stomp sounds awesome through the loop but in front of the amp it sounds like complete crap. Well, it sounds like a mild overdrive, virtually does nothing

Comment

You can run a pedal from the preamp out and into the main input jack? Is that safe? Never heard of it before. If it is, heck yeah I'll do it. Saves more modding and tearing the amp apart. Although I'm having fun learning all this stuff. Will it sound the same as running it through the FX Loop? The Sonic Stomp sounds awesome through the loop but in front of the amp it sounds like complete crap. Well, it sounds like a mild overdrive, virtually does nothing
        I think olddawg meant a pre out -> BBE sonic stomp-> power amp in jacks on back, you would not want to go Pre out -> guitar input I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
          I think olddawg meant a pre out -> BBE sonic stomp-> power amp in jacks on back, you would not want to go Pre out -> guitar input I believe.
          That's right. The pre-out should be around the same level as the effects loop. Probably line level. Some stomp boxes don't like that much signal, but if it was working in the effects loop it should work fine in the pre-out to main in.

Comment

Someone on another forum just told me that running a cable from the preamp out to the main out would "create a fine power oscillator". Not quite sure what that means but doesn't sound so good. What you said makes sense in theory......I'm just a little afraid of frying something up....or a buncha things...

Comment

Someone on another forum just told me that running a cable from the preamp out to the main out would "create a fine power oscillator". Not quite sure what that means but doesn't sound so good. What you said makes sense in theory......I'm just a little afraid of frying something up....or a buncha things...
              It's already connected as it sits. They are switching jacks that are jumpered internally. If you plug one end of a cable into the Pre-Out and the other end of the cable into the Main-In you have the SAME circuit as you would with the cable unplugged and the jacks doing the same thing internally usually. (In some amps it will take the Master Volume out of the circuit.) Frequently these self-switching jacks malfunction and cause an amp with them to lose volume or be intermitant. The test is to plug in a cable just like I said. When you put an effect inbetween those jacks you're just affecting the signal going from your preamp to the final amp. This is a fairly simple concept. It will not hurt anything. Just have all of your volumes down when you turn it on. DO NOT LOOP PRE-OUT OR THE OUTPUT OF THE EFFECT CONNECTED TO THE PRE-OUT BACK TO THE FRONT PANEL INPUTS OF THE AMP. That will give you an oscillator.

Comment

Cool man, well I tried running a cable to a pedal then into the main input before you posted that, and it made an oscillator. All this amp has is- Front/main input, speaker/cab jacks, fx send and return, and preamp out. No preamp in. So I guess its not possible with this amp. What I might try is intercepting the signal internally before the FX loop and run a send and return jack out of that would be independent of the fx loop switch. Which should give me the same effect that the Sonic Stomp has in the FX Loop but just constant and turned on and off only by the pedal itself. Someone else on another forum kinda gave me the idea from other suggestions he gave me. He suggested installing a "power switching adapter". Taking a wall wart apart and wiring to AC internally. But I figured, if I have to use a wall wart and wire it internally....why not just run to jacks off that interception point before the FX loop then I could just leave the Sonic Stomp pedal on top of my amp being powered from the supply for the rest of my pedals. And just run two short cables to those newly installed jacks. I guess acting like a non switchable fx loop. Well that's my theory anyway, gonna try it out here in a bit. I'll keep ya posted. Any suggestions?

Comment

Cool man, well I tried running a cable to a pedal then into the main input before you posted that, and it made an oscillator. All this amp has is- Front/main input, speaker/cab jacks, fx send and return, and preamp out. No preamp in. So I guess its not possible with this amp. What I might try is intercepting the signal internally before the FX loop and run a send and return jack out of that would be independent of the fx loop switch. Which should give me the same effect that the Sonic Stomp has in the FX Loop but just constant and turned on and off only by the pedal itself. Someone else on another forum kinda gave me the idea from other suggestions he gave me. He suggested installing a "power switching adapter". Taking a wall wart apart and wiring to AC internally. But I figured, if I have to use a wall wart and wire it internally....why not just run to jacks off that interception point before the FX loop then I could just leave the Sonic Stomp pedal on top of my amp being powered from the supply for the rest of my pedals. And just run two short cables to those newly installed jacks. I guess acting like a non switchable fx loop. Well that's my theory anyway, gonna try it out here in a bit. I'll keep ya posted. Any suggestions?

You keep confusing the terminology. Does the amp have Preamp Out and a Main Amp in jacks? Most big amps do nowadays. It allows you to slave multiple output amps or drive another amp with the Preamp. Can you post a back panel owner's manual page? If it doesn't have a Main Amp in it would be MUCH easier to add one, probably just before the Master Volume control.

Comment

Ok, sorry man. I thought by "main" you meant the front input where the guitar goes in. No I don't have another main input on the back. Here are the two pages of input and output jack descriptions and pictures. I copied them from Adobe into Microsoft Frontpage. Lemme know if it doesn't work for ya. But yeah, what you're saying sounds simpler. Now that would be placed Post FX Loop correct? The signal is different there than Pre FX. Would it sound totally different? It is still between the preamp and power amp though. And I'm assuming that's what gives the pedal so much impact being placed after the preamp and before the poweramp. I don't know if it matters before or after the FX Loop. Thanks alot man for takin the time to help me out. Greatly appreciated.

Comment

Whoops, forgot to attach the files. Ok, it only let me send the jpg files. Which are kinda elongated but if you have windows photo gallery you can expand them. Either way, it should give you a good idea of exactly what's on there. Thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

Ok, sorry man. I thought by "main" you meant the front input where the guitar goes in. No I don't have another main input on the back. Here are the two pages of input and output jack descriptions and pictures. I copied them from Adobe into Microsoft Frontpage. Lemme know if it doesn't work for ya. But yeah, what you're saying sounds simpler. Now that would be placed Post FX Loop correct? The signal is different there than Pre FX. Would it sound totally different? It is still between the preamp and power amp though. And I'm assuming that's what gives the pedal so much impact being placed after the preamp and before the poweramp. I don't know if it matters before or after the FX Loop. Thanks alot man for takin the time to help me out. Greatly appreciated.
                        You are correct. The OM shows that this amp does not have a main amp break in point. You could easily add one. My suggestion would be just before the Master Volume control. That would be after the fx loop. You should take a good look at the schematic first to make sure that there are no coupling/buffering issues first. The block diagram would be preamp out > sonic maximizer effect > main amp in (before master volume) > power amp . I am assuming that the effects loop is incorperated before the preamp out. IMHO this is the simplest, cleanest way to do what you want and is easily reversible. If you start messing with a lot of stuff at the same time you will have a multitude of unintended consequences.
                        Last edited by olddawg; 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Hi souls cry.
                          Sorry but your explanation is somewhat confusing.
                          Before I can suggest something (I have an idea but it depends on your answer) please confirm the following, which I *think* you mean, but I may be terribly mistaken:
                          1)You love your sonic maximizer, it works well in the effects loop, you'd leave it there forever Yes/No
                          2)You assembled a string of effects, they work well in the effects loop, you want to be able to switch them on/off, in block (not individually), without affecting the sonic maximizer Yes/No
                          3) You have only one send/return effects loop , which is switchable Y/N
                          4)You have a Line or Pre out (which is probably compensated to send to the PA, although it might be flat to go to power amps) but not Power amp in. Y/N
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Olddawg - yeah, I'll check out everything and see if I can put a main in there. It does sound easier. I gotta take a look at the schematic and see what I know or don't know or can't figure out. Get back to ya in a bit. Thanks again man

J M Fahey- 1) Yes, love the Sonic Maximizer. No need to switch it in and out
                            remotely
                            2) Yes, wanna use the FX loop switch independently, I do only
                            use one effect pedal(delay). But essentially the same idea as
                            you said.
                            3) Yes, only one send/return footswitchable fx loop
                            4) Yes, only one preamp out(don't know if it's compensated for
                            a PA) and No poweramp in
                            Whatcha thinkin? Thanks

Comment

SoulCry I edited my post. I re-read it and had to correct the block diagram. The wife and kid were in my ear.

Comment

Working...
                              X