Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between "Bassman 5F6A" and "Bassman 50"

I like the sound of the bassman 5F6A.
    I can buy a second hand bassman 50. Is the sound much different?

thanks...

Originally posted by carrejans View Post
    I like the sound of the bassman 5F6A.
    I can buy a second hand bassman 50. Is the sound much different?

thanks...
    I'd say yes. Totally different circuits.
    If you compare the schematics you'll see what I mean.
    Fender Amp Heaven Schematics - Tweed Blackface Brownface Silverface Bassman Champ Deluxe Princeton Super Vibroverb Reissue

Comment

Originally posted by txstrat View Post
      I'd say yes. Totally different circuits.
      If you compare the schematics you'll see what I mean.
      Fender Amp Heaven Schematics - Tweed Blackface Brownface Silverface Bassman Champ Deluxe Princeton Super Vibroverb Reissue
      Yes indeed, I see that the schematics are different a lot.
      What are the differences soundwise?

Comment

From the schematic I'd say it sounds more like every other Silverface amp.

I believe most of the guys here in the forum are on their eternal quest for the right guitar tone. Anyway if it's amps, effects, pickups etc. If they don't like their sound, they change it by getting out that soldering iron.

Are you into electonics or tube amps somehow?
        If not, you got to go the hard way and buy those things for your sound (and sell'em again if you don't like 'em).

I believe the bassman 50 could be converted into a 5F6A but that would mean tho change almost all the innards of the amp, or at least the wiring.
        Also sometimes the difference between sounds are quite subtle. I built a two channel amp where the first channel, PI and power stage are complete 6G11 Vibrolux. The second channel is 5F6A. The difference is not always obvious especially when the volume is over 4.
        What I'm saying is, I'd try the Bassman 50 and see if I like the sound.
        Last edited by txstrat; 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM. Reason: added content

Comment

I understand that silverface amps are not the most liked amps?

Yes, I'm into electronics too. I recently built a 5F6A; and last year a Marshall 18W (tmb).
          But the other guitarist in my band likes the sound of the 5F6A too. But he's not into electronics and wants to buy one. But he doesn't want a combo. So, I thought that maybe the Bassman 50 was ideal.
          But I'm not interested in converting it to a 5f6a. It's more easy to build one from scratch.

So I guess, he probably will be disappointed with the sound of the B50...

Comment

The Bassman 50 appears to be an iteration of the BF Bassman. BF Bassman heads are GREAT guitar amps. The Bassman 50 could probably be easily converted to BF AB165 specs easily. So just because it is not a 5F6a doesn't mean it wouldn't be a good sounding guitar amp. If it's a good price grab it! IMHO
            Last edited by Groover; 06-17-2010, 06:34 PM. Reason: just noticed the it's a stale thread!

Comment

I agree with Groover, the BF and SF Bassmans (Bassmen?) are real sleepers. I have 4 BF and 3 SF Bassmen and they are excellent. I like a hybrid version of the AA864 and AB165 versions. Basically they have the AA864 circuit all the way up to the coupling cap before the PI and everything after is AB165. I also usually beef up the filtering and change the Bass channel to be more guitar friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by Jag View Post
                I like a hybrid version of the AA864 and AB165 versions. Basically they have the AA864 circuit all the way up to the coupling cap before the PI and everything after is AB165. I also usually beef up the filtering and change the Bass channel to be more guitar friendly.
                Thanks for the tip. What changes do you make to the Bass channel for guitar?

Comment

First of all, why I like the AA864 preamp is, the normal channel doesn't mix with the bass channel until after the additional gain stage before the PI so it's a little cleaner. Also, that additional stage has an unbypassed cathode resistor so it's a little more tame as well.

I kind of season to taste on the bass channel but, generally, I rework the tone stack to be like the stack in the 5F6-A (but still right after the input stage). I use a 10k resistor instead of a 25k mid pot and a 68k slope resistor. The bass pot is 250kA and on some of my amps I use a 0.022uf cap for the bass but usually 0.1uf. I use a 500pf cap for the treble.

For me, the 500pf treble cap and a 0.1uf or 0.047uf bass cap usually gets what I like. In all my amps, the 0.022uf mid cap is a LAW, I change it to that value on the normal channel also!

I also usually reduce the coupling cap into the PI to a 0.047uf and take the coupling caps to the output tubes up to 0.047uf (I've used 0.1uf there too).

I don't generally switch between the channels but choose based on how I feel at the time. More often than not, I end up using the normal channel if I'm in a "get the crunch from the pedals mood", and the modified bass channel when I'm in a "blow the doors off, guitar straight into the amp" mood.

Comment

Jag,

Great advice; thanks! I just picked up an AB165 and have been trying to figure out what to do with the Bass Channel. I don't know if it's normal, but mine sounds atrocious with a guitar plugged into it.

I think I will use your advice this weekend when I get the ole iron out.

Comment

Working...
                    X