True Hand Wound Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Hand Wound Coils

Want to offer real hand wound coils, here is the winder that will do it.

http://armaturecoil.com/PDF%20Files/Model%2040.PDF
    www.guitarforcepickups.com

Makes my arm sore lust looking at it.

Comment

Or do what I used to do. A handdrill with a flat sanding attachment. Wound to resistance. It really wasn't that long either. I could do about 7000 turns in around 10 minutes.

www.MaillouxBasses.com
      www.OzBassForum.com

Comment

That's pretty much how I have been doing it for a quarter century. Many hand-drills get 3-5 chuck turns per turn of the handle. It is quite easy to "get into a groove" and turn that sucker 70-80 times per second. I find 7000 turns in 10 minutes to be a little unrealistic, given the need to stop intermittently so as to avoid repetitive strain injury, but certainly 7000 turns in 15-20 minutes isn't all that far off the mark. If you want to try it, make sure you get a decent drill, since chuck-wobble can vary widely from model to model.

Of course, what makes a feasible setup for a hobby is not necessarily what makes a feasible setup for a business. Anyone attempting to make at least 10 pickups a day using that sort of setup is just asking for damaged joints, and if you're self-employed any down-time due to injury is doubly dangerous.

Comment

If you turned the drill 90 degrees, you could hook it to a treadle and run it with your foot. Kind of like an old sewing machine.

Comment

Working...
          X