No announcement yet.

Yngwie Winds Pickups for Haiti ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was that a can of shellac or more likely lacquer? Anyone recognize the label?

Wanking???? You ever heard Albert Collins wank on ONE NOTE? That one note has the whole universe in it :-) Angus puts his total soul into those simple solos and thats what makes him a great guitar player.

I did alot of this guy's and Marty Friedman's album packages, they are great talents, but I just got burned out on this kind of music. The older I get the more I gravitate to old blues and old jazz, stuff with alot of soul and simplicity. I suppose if I ever hit 80 I'll be playing a guitar with one string and one fret
    YouTube - Jason Becker - Cacophony Solo
    http://www.SDpickups.com
    Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Not to change the subject, but did anyone see Jeff Beck play Les Paul's "How High The Moon" on the Grammy's last night? A nice change for him as far as styles are concerned. Now Les Paul was someone who could play fast and not sound like he was running through scales.......

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by tedmich View Post
        didn't mean to "critique" Yngwie per se, merely to state that I would rather listen to MIA Eklundh, Ron Thall, Guthrie Govan or even Jeff Beck than the Yng.
        OK, well now you are talking my kind of players! I'll add Robert Fripp to the list. Some might think IA also plays burbling scales! What I always found exciting when it came to players are people who can play fluidly while picking every note cleanly. Playing fast on guitar has been popular as long as there have been guitars (and lutes and violins, etc.) so it's obviously something people like to do!

Yeah, Yngwie plays a lot of diminished scales, and goes for a certain neo-classical sound. I appreciate his playing, but I'm not a fan of his music. It's always more of the same thing.

I agree about Angus also. When I first heard AC/DC I thought they were boring and I still do. I'd rather listen to Grand Funk if I want simplistic rock with bad lyrics.

Possum, as far as soulful, I'd rather listen to Jeff Beck's Wired album.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by soundmasterg View Post
          Not to change the subject, but did anyone see Jeff Beck play Les Paul's "How High The Moon" on the Grammy's last night? A nice change for him as far as styles are concerned. Now Les Paul was someone who could play fast and not sound like he was running through scales.......
          Crap. I didn't even know the Grammy's were on. Hopefully I can find it online. That's one of my favorite songs, and one of my favorite players.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            Wanking???? You ever heard Albert Collins wank on ONE NOTE? That one note has the whole universe in it :-)
            Angus is not Albert Collins, or even Freddie King. I like Neil Young's solos too.

Angus puts his total soul into those simple solos and thats what makes him a great guitar player.
            He's not a great guitar player. He knows how to do one thing, and that's what he does. He might be good at that one thing, but that does not make him a great player. He doesn't put all of himself into anything. That whole drooling thing is a big act. But that's show biz!

Anyone can play one note and bend it and it sounds soulful. I can teach my wife to do that and she's not musical. That's just mechanics. Stringing together a bunch of notes in a meaningful way is music. Bending one note can sound soulful but is often amateur dramatics.

If you sing a sad song it makes some people feel sad. You don't have to feel sad when you are singing it though. So where's the soul then? It's an illusion. That's how music is. Certain sounds make us feel certain ways. Same with colors. You know what notes will feel which ways.

If all you want to do is play one style of music and nothing more, that's fine, but that's not being a good musician. That's being someone who plays guitar in one style.

I did alot of this guy's and Marty Friedman's album packages, they are great talents, but I just got burned out on this kind of music.
            Back in the 80's I was into new wave and jazz fusion and experimental stuff. I never liked that whole shred/metal movement. I used to get those kind of players coming into the shop when I was at Showster. I would tell them to try playing those licks with no distortion. That was pretty funny!

The older I get the more I gravitate to old blues and old jazz, stuff with alot of soul and simplicity.
            Old jazz, simplistic? Yeah, OK! The level of complexity in music has nothing to do with how much soul it has. That's up to the talent of the player. Cannonball Adderley, John Coltrane and Charlie Parker could play a whole lot of notes and with soul! Same thing with the great jazz guitarists. Miles was well know for playing simple, but not when he was in his bebop days. The truth is he couldn't play that way anymore because of his heroin addiction.

A lot of blues stuff is very stereotyped and predictable and seems soulful, but it's not genuine, it's just like reciting someone else's poem or something. Are you an old black guy growing up poor in Mississippi in 1890? You didn't come up with those sentiments, you are just repeating them. Same licks over and over again. Guitar is an expressive instrument, but people get hung up on wanting to hear the same tired/familiar forms of music. I find that boring.

I suppose if I ever hit 80 I'll be playing a guitar with one string and one fret
            That's just being lazy Dave! Most people play better as they age. You learn more. I play much better now than I did when I was 18. I do play less, but that's because I know more about music. But I can do things now I couldn't do back then. I was faster then, but I have more quality now.

But everyone should play what they like. Just don't start saying one form of music is more valid or soulful than another. Is a story written in English better than one written in Chinese? It is if you can't read Chinese! So saying the forms of music you know are somehow better is missing the point that you aren't familiar with other styles well enough. Even death metal can have a lot of feeling. Not the kind of feeling I'm looking for, but it sure has something.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              Even death metal can have a lot of feeling. Not the kind of feeling I'm looking for, but it sure has something.
              David... this is one good example of the things people say when don't know when to STOP talking...
              Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
              Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                David... this is one good example of the things people say when don't know when to STOP talking...
                Oh I know when to stop talking! But it's true. When people talk about "feeling" in music, they are always just talking about ONE type of feeling. It's almost always associated with blues, so it's some kind of thing that would be called "emotional". But there are all kinds of feelings. If someone wanted to convey anger in music, that's a valid feeling.

Someone might listen to pop music or even disco and get a lot of feeling from that.

But this crap about some player not having any soul in their playing is just that, a lot of crap. If the player is any good they can express some kind of emotion in their playing. But there are all kinds of emotions, right? Not just the blues kind. I just think it's narrow minded nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  Stringing together a bunch of notes in a meaningful way is music.
                  Define "meaningful"?
                  "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                    Was that a can of shellac or more likely lacquer? Anyone recognize the label?

Wanking???? You ever heard Albert Collins wank on ONE NOTE? That one note has the whole universe in it :-) Angus puts his total soul into those simple solos and thats what makes him a great guitar player.

I did alot of this guy's and Marty Friedman's album packages, they are great talents, but I just got burned out on this kind of music. The older I get the more I gravitate to old blues and old jazz, stuff with alot of soul and simplicity. I suppose if I ever hit 80 I'll be playing a guitar with one string and one fret
                    YouTube - Jason Becker - Cacophony Solo
                    I went to music school with Marty Friedman, let's just say the guy has very little talent and has a crappy personality.
                    I have had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out with Jason Becker and I can say he has more talent, personality and class in his little toe on his left foot than Marty F will ever have.
                    As always I wish the very best to Jason Becker with his health issues.

Props to SD and Ygnwie for helping in Haiti.
                    Bryan Gunsher
                    http://www.bg-pups.com
                    https://www.facebook.com/BGPups

Comment

OMG!

Have we been infected with the H-C virus here?

Jeez louise, get back to pickups!!

Comment

I think it is written into natural law that every guitar forum needs to have a Yngwie thread every so often, I think this board was long over due. What is missing so far is the inevitable phrase "B.B. King can say more with one note than Yngwie can..." etc. etc. Since that phrase hasn't come up yet, I'd say this thread has a way to go.

Mr. Schwab was very eloquent.... anyone who thinks that guitar players are the only instrumentalists that show off obviously haven't listened around. Many great piano and violin compositions exist for the sole purpose of showing off chops. And, the distinctions between complexity, showing off, and musicality are a lot blurrier than most guitar players think it is. Personally, I love a lot of Prokofiev pieces that are insane to play, but wouldn't consider it showing off, it is entirely necessary for that manic sort of style.

Personally, I love Yngwie but don't think he's done anything new or interesting after his first album... but to make fun of him because he's one of those "lots of notes" players is a bit silly. If you want to make fun of him for wearing leather pants in a time of life when it is entirely inappropriate or his copious use of the phrase "unleash the fury", that's another matter.

Comment

<rant>
                          So, are you saying that you don't need to know anything else about music to play the guitar like Angus? I guess Angus can't keep time, or name the notes in the chords he plays....also guess that means that he doesn't know anything about dynamics, either...

Sorry, but I would consider Angus a musician. Sure, he may play guitar one way, but he has exhibited all the marks of a musician, IMHO...keeps time, uses dynamics, etc. I've met people that claim they are "musicians" and can't keep time to save their lives....am I any less of a musician because I don't play several other types of music, or instruments? Sure, I haven't played the instrument I started out on, or haven't been in any music classes in 16 years, but I think that I know enough to be called a musician.

</rant>

Steve Conner has it right....define "meaningful".

Comment

And for a more "on-topic" response, I respect Yng for what he has contributed to music and the world of guitar....but I don't own any of his albums. I also don't plan on buying any, because I'm just not into his particular style. I don't think he sucks, but I certainly think the leather pants have GOT to go.

As an aside, I do agree with the statement that some music does exist to show off chops....for me, I seem to recall a guy in high school that played Flight of the Bumblebee on his euphonium just to show off his chops. And he would nail it every time.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyKikuchiyo View Post
                              If you want to make fun of him for wearing leather pants in a time of life when it is entirely inappropriate or his copious use of the phrase "unleash the fury", that's another matter.
                              Lol +1! I prefer Satriani... until he tries to sing.

To me, a musician is someone who can earn a living making music.

Who would win in a "meaningfulness" contest between AC/DC and John Cage?
                              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

As with any skilled artwork, there is no good or bad, only like and dislike. You can discuss like or dislike all day, but not good or bad. Yngwie is highly skilled, AND he connects with a lot of people for whatever reason. There are a lot of highly skilled artists that don't really connect with anybody. Some of what we'd consider the "most skilled" in their categories have trouble filling coffee houses. Go figure.

The debate of like and dislike is the "harmony central virus" and Mark is right! I liked it better when you guys were trying to figure out what kind of "shellacquer" he dipped them in. You can forget about reading the can, that won't help...

Comment

Working...
                                X