Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hum balance / elevated heaters causes problem.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hum balance / elevated heaters causes problem.....

Hey all!

My SVT keeps buggin' me........

Fiend of me lend it from me, put it in a wrong cab (8 ohm instead of 4) and it caused the speaker ground connection (secondary OT) to break, it blew a tube (and it's screen resistor) and broke the hum pot (and melted some heater wire).

I fixed all but noticed only late the broken OT ground connection. Before I noticed that it caused the power tubes to run hot (> 200mA) every time I powered up. After I connected the ground again it worked flawlessly.......

Almost flawless......... I noticed that the HUM pot was broken. So I replaced it with:
    A. two fixed 100 ohm resistors to ground

And after I got it not working

B. A new 100 ohm resistor pot with the middle grounded

When I turn the unit on now I get the same problem as mentioned before (tubes run hot (>200mA). If I remove this the amp works perfectly (only has a slight annoying hum).

What can I do???? Any thoughts???? I grounded the hum pot at the same line that grounds the rest of the amp!

Edit; also on another ground it keeps the problem
    It is a V9 btw; it has part of the poweramp elevated with a 10 ohm resistor.

The heater transformer reads approx 2 ohm secondary. Grounding the hum balance knob to the elevated grounds does nothing

Hmmmm, I think I missed something because when I measure the heater to ground I get 1.8k (without the hum balance pot) so I guess that there is something bleeding!
    Last edited by Bernardduur; 01-30-2010, 09:37 PM.

'when I measure the heater to ground I get 1.8k (without the hum balance pot) so I guess that there is something bleeding'
    Take all the tubes out and repeat this. If it's a lot higher, then there's probably a bad tube, which you should be able to then track down.
    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Tnx!

It is one of the 12BH7's that is causing this problem

Comment

Oh, I guess you must have a heater-to-cathode short in that tube. (This one had me puzzled for a while )
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          Oh, I guess you must have a heater-to-cathode short in that tube. (This one had me puzzled for a while )
          Me 2..........

Hope it works; new tubes ordered

Comment

Working...
          X