Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey CS-800 Power Amp(The Beast is dead!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey CS-800 Power Amp(The Beast is dead!)

Hello anyone,

I am new to this forum and chatting online in general, but I am
    desparate to see if I can get any help with my vintage Peavey CS-800
    Power Amp. I was playing a show and an acoustic guitar that I have
    kept making a loud clicking noise through the PA (something with the pickup on the acoustic). Well after about 10 clicks the old faithful Peavey lost all
    power and wont go. The fan doesnt start or anything. I did try replacing the ceramic fuse but no luck. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    missing my beast Peavey

A few noises should not bring this amp down.

If it appears completely dead:
    Bad power cord
    Bad power switch
    Wire off internal mains wiring
    Bad triac in mains circuit.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

those things never die. they just rest for a while LOL! the end of the world will come and there will be cockroaches and CS-800 left LOL!

the peavy start up circuit is simple, but confusing to look at if you don't understand triacs and how the power switch works. schematics can be found all over the web. keep in mind there are about a zillion versions of this amp. ok maybe a million but...

Firsta nd foremost. are you a tech? are you comfortable working around high voltage? do you understand how to safely discharge the capacitors in the amp? if not stop right now and find someone to help you. Poking around inside an amp with live voltage and stored energy is not a good thing when you are not 100% sure of what to touch and what not to touch! don't YOU be dead too!

IF...you qualify from the above then....

Going off memory, enzo help me out here. the power switch has a resistor in series with a triac. the triac is in series with the transformer. first trace out the incoming AC lines so you understand how the power flows to the transformer. peaveys system of terminal blocks with wires going in and out and all over is a mess. take some time to sort it out. one you have figured out how the incoming AC FINALLY makes it to the transformer. test to see if you have 120VAC at that point. if not. work backwards. I bet you find that the triac is either bad. or not turned on. If you don't know what a triac is. stop, get someone to help you that knows what a traic is that can show you and help.

Zc

Comment

Yes, the power switch puts a resistor across the triac to its gate. The triac is the actual power switching element, the switch jusy controls the triac.

Chances are his wiring is OK. More likely a busted switch or failed triac than a wire off the terminal board, but anything is possible.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Peavey Beast

Thank you guys for your posts. I am actually very new at working on
          this stuff and I probably will need some help. The music stores charge
          so much money to look at and work on these that I thought I would take
          up a new hobby. You guys are very knowledgeable and thanks for your posts.
          I will investigate and let you know what I come up with. If I am looking for
          someone to pay to help me, do you know any people or businesses in Pennsylvania that are reasonable with these type of repairs.
          (I have a Mackie 1400i power amp that is dead with the hot light permanantly on.)

Thanks, ripesean

Comment

Working...
          X