X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey C30 and the Trinity 18 watt boutique amps

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Glass Snuff
    Yes, great posts, Jared. You seem very even-handed and open-minded, which is quite refreshing, as most musicians seem to have an axe to grind (pardon the pun). You've made me think a lot about the C30 (I sell them and own one), but I'll wait a bit before expounding on them so as not to color your perceptions.

Waiting for your reviews....
    Jef

Well, I'm not sure where to begin. The guy makes several variants, mostly on the early Marshall designs, though he's also got one thats more VOX, one that is a direct replica of a Fender Tweed, and a variant of a HiWatt that he calls the TriWatt. Unfortunatley the Triwatt was not there.

So we set out to do a demonstration on the Fender Tweed model. It is roughly the same size, and with the authentic tweed covering that has been laquered, it looked exactly like one that I had seen in a shop the day before, except that one was 50 years old, looked like sh*t and sounded like sh*t too. I'm not sure where he gets the volume out of 18 watts, but it is unbelivable (he was running 6V6s in it. Everything about it is spec (he gets his OTs made in Michigan to spec, complete with impurities in the metal). The only modern addition is the Tone Tubby Alnico speaker which delivers gorgeous tones, at any volume. The gain is nicely progressive, while still holding on to the Tweed sound.

We then plugged my C30 in. That was interesting, and I would have to say, that at all but the highest volumes, the tone held together, and I did not feel as though I made a horrid mistake bringing it along, and I did not make a horrid mistake buying it in the first place. It held its own against a $1500boutique amp, at least at a certain volume, but still it was more than acceptable. And, the tone was not that far off.

In fact, while we were talking, and he was asking me what kind of amp I would like, I said, well, to be honest, I really like what they have done with the C30, if I could get a little bit of Fender, as is represented in the 1st channel, and then a bit of the Marshall, as is repped on the 2nd channel, with reverb, and a boost switch, BMT, effects pedal jacks, I'd be happy, and maybe in A 6V6 format!

We then moved on to the Marshal platform. That was truely oustanding. It is a 2 channel system running on EL84s, It takes crunch and volume to a whole new level, and I kept on asking my self what the Peavey C30 would sound like with that Tone Tubby Alnico and a better OT installed (he did say that the OT has a huge effect on the sound, whether or not the cost is justifiable is another matter, but it does have a big effect).

He had another interesting little tube dampner idea: he puts two silicone O rings (red rubber material), like a gasket over the tube right in the middle of the glass and he says it helps reduce vibration. I forgot to ask him where he got them, but I emailed him when I got home to ask about them, and I'll pass it on. I would definately try it.

The verdict: I am going to get one, but I would not get rid of the C30. Considering the cost of it, compared to the cost of the Trinity 18, its an absolutely amazing deal: $680CDN vs (at least) $1700CDN. I have a greater appreciation for the C30 now than I did before. The comparison also gave me a better perspective on what mods are reasonable and doable, and I will be getting a speaker replacement, and the OT. I'll leave the capacitor values alone. Its a hell of an amp the way it is, but I think that a couple of mods and it would really sing. To see Stephen's amps, go to Welcome to Trinity Amps
Working...
X