Ruby EL84

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruby EL84

Have to replace the EL84s in my Peavey Classic 30, and a store near where I live has Ruby EL84s. Any thoughts? Another place a little further away has JJs.

Thanks

fwiw I used to stock the JJs but I found they had quite a high failure rate across three batches of 30 or so bought in the course of about a year. I have less trouble from Sovteks. Don't know about Rubys.

Comment

It sounds like you are a retailer. And if you've seen that kind of a failure rate, that sounds like something worth being warry of. They do have some sovtecks, but I cánt't rmember if they were just 12AX7s or EL84s as well. I'll try them out if they have them.

Thanks.

Comment

Nope, not a retailer, a part-time repairman, but pretty busy.

Comment

I just learned that Ruby is like Groove, they are marketers, not manufacturers. They could be JJs, Sovteck, Chinese....

Comment

Ruby (Magic Parts) has tubes made *for* them, but does not mfgr anything themselves. Same with GT and the GE 6L6 "reissue" they spec'd out. They're all still China, Russia, or Slovak mfgr. JJ is a mfgr....they make everything with thier name on it.

I like the Ruby 6L6GCMSTR....they hold up well and have good tone. Chinese (Shuguang) mfgr. I have a couple quads of the Ruby EL34BSTR I need to torture test in the Traynor YBA3 too see how long they'll take 700v on the plates. FWIW, the EH EL34s took it, laughed, and asked for more.
            The farmer takes a wife, the barber takes a pole....

Comment

Damn! I still can;t get my tubes to laugh... Sometimes they snicker though. Mostly when I play.

There is no one particular RUby EL84. They sell more than one. it is no secret where each comes from.
              EL84JJ will be from JJ
              EL84C will be Chinese
              EL84R will re Russian (Sovtek)
              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
              X