Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"best" passive balance speaker simulated line-out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "best" passive balance speaker simulated line-out?

Hi all

I'm looking for some opinions on known speaker-simulated line-outs for guitaramps. I'm desiging a se-amp and I do need a simulator that can be made using only passive components, and if possible: the less parts the better and I do prefer regulra/easy to get parts.

(Ps Don't wanna sound like a pita!!!)

Many tia!

Chris
    Love, peace & loudness,
    Chris
    http://www.CMWamps.com

Chris,

I'm assuming that you want the sound of the power amp included in the line-out sound, and that you're not having a custom OT designed, and that you don't want to add another transformer... if so, one way that might work is to use the 0 and 4-ohm taps of your OT to drive the speaker, and the 0,4 (CT), and 16 ohm taps for your balanced line-out. It's an imperfect method, there are many reasons why this might not work in your particular design, and FWIW I don't think I would do it this way, but it is an idea. It would be a high-level, super-low-impedance output, so it could drive a pretty complex passive filter matrix and still end up with a reasonable output Z with plenty of level.

Ray

Comment

I did once open up my Palmer PDI-03 (about the highest regarded passive speaker sim) and there's not a lot in it. Might have had a custom inductor or two, but only a handful of other components.

On its line level Recording outs, Mesa uses a simple inductor and cap arrangement as EQ to mimic speaker response. You can see it on schematics of pre-amps like the Studio, Quad, Triaxis. And I hear that Randall's really cool about people copying his ideas for use in their amps

Comment

Originally posted by loverocker
        ...I hear that Randall's really cool about people copying his ideas for use in their amps
        Yeah, it seems to be when they copy other peoples ideas that he gets uptight.

Comment

Originally posted by loverocker
          I did once open up my Palmer PDI-03 (about the highest regarded passive speaker sim) and there's not a lot in it. Might have had a custom inductor or two, but only a handful of other components.

On its line level Recording outs, Mesa uses a simple inductor and cap arrangement as EQ to mimic speaker response. You can see it on schematics of pre-amps like the Studio, Quad, Triaxis. And I hear that Randall's really cool about people copying his ideas for use in their amps
          Ha ha!

.. and he did design the DR on his own
          Love, peace & loudness,
          Chris
          http://www.CMWamps.com

Comment

Working...
          X