Weber power transformer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber power transformer?

Hey guys, I just purchased a weber power transformer form a guy on Ebay. He stated in his auction that it was a Bassman PT. It turns out its a PT for a vibrolux,vibrolux reverb,tremolux. My question is,what is a good OT with 4,8 and 16 ohm taps that will match this PT?

Chuck.

Go to Triode Electronics they have Tranny's made by Magnetic Components. There you will find OT model # 40-18006 which is about 35watts it has a 4k primary and 4, 8, 16ohm secondary taps.

Grungy
    Last edited by GrungeMan; 02-08-2010, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Allen amps has some nice OTs too.

Allen Amplification - Parts Order Page
      "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
      - Yogi Berra

Comment

Well, I'd check the Weber OT's for those same amps for one. FOr another, try Edcor, they've got a good selection of trannies, they are very nicely made and priced very reasonably: EDCOR - Browse Catagories

Comment

Thanks guys for the links. I'll order one from Weber.

Comment

I really only have experience with old fender tranny's and they were fine . I did wonder why my 74 SF champ had more secondary leads than the schem shows yet it was original , a few leads were just taped back and not used I never did check what they were , all I know is it was not a 120/240 PT and I have lost all the photo's of that amp .

The other trannies I have used were Weber and some give them a bad rap . I spoke to Ted about three years ago perhaps 4 and did exchange emails with him often and he took the time to answer every question . I think his transformers are well made , now they are not quite are polished on the outside as others yet I have yet to have a problem with them and they are running well in 5 amps I built mostly 6G2 and champ builds and his champ/princeton PT has a higher rating on the mA of the HT and the heaters and the 5 volt is 3 amp. He told me they were made in China yet built of his own specs based on the original fender tranny's he had taken apart. His speakers are also great and I have no idea where the sig series are made . Webers PT for a champ is 100 mA HT secondary and 4 amp 6.3 and 3 amp 5 volt and fender is 70 mA HT 2 amp 6.3 and 2 amp 5 volt even in the push /pull 6G2 princeton after an hour full up it only got warm.

I have used Allen amp tranny's for one build pt and ot and they are great by heyboer per Allens specs . And I have used allen amps OT for the large SE OT on another parallel SE 6V6 5F2-A. Allen Amps for the money are a great deal .Allen Amps tranny's just get warm never hot. I have his TP-25 PT in a 6G2/5E3 and can run 2 6L6's and a GZ-34 rect and two 12--7's and still it just gets slightly warmer than when using 2 6V6's and a 5Y3 and 2 12--7's. I have Allen Amps TO TP-25 which is like the new TO-26 with different secondaries in this build .

Then I have used Hammond and for some odd reason beginning with a 6V6 kit whcih included good componants I build a kit whcih used a pre- punched Hammond chassis and Hammond PT and OT that had 3 secondary taps and the amp sounded so so yet the PT always got hotter than hell . I then decided to build the parallel 6V6 SE 5f2-a and got a hammond PT rated even higher than the one I used from weber for a 6G2 build and the Hammond PT even though rated higher still got so hot I had to use a small fan . The Weber PT just gets warm . The Hammond OT is an open no bell OT that is very common but the Allens amps TO11C blew it out of the water.

Comment

Working...
            X