• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wiring code that makes most sense to me, is the following:

* Black=start South = Ground
    * White=finish South
    * Green=finish North
    * Red=start North = Hot

However, I always assemble my pickups using the Duncan code.

HTH,
    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
    Milano, Italy

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
      The Duncan code makes more sense to me anyway. One coil is black/white & the other red/green. It's easier to keep straight in my head for some reason.
      To me, the Peavey code makes the most sense.
      Humbucker Wire Color Translation | Seymour Duncan
      North coil: Red+/Grn-
      South coil: Wht+/Blk-
      Series connected: Red+/Blk-

In DC power and analog signal wiring, black is always, always, always (well, usually) "cold".

Edit:
      Agree with LtKojak- posted while I was writing this.
      Last edited by rjb; 04-07-2017, 06:46 PM.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I don't have two coils, but I have two sets of three coils each that I can wire in parallel.

"Splitting" doesn't make much sense in my design (as you would be left with only three strings) unless you're combining that signal with three strings from another pickup. I've had a couple of people do this kind of stuff, but not many.

Parallel wiring is a fantastic option for the higher output models though. It's like putting an HB in parallel, but with a Zexcoil, you're still only picking the string up in one place so there's no comb filtering.

Anyway, I took stock of all of the 4 conductor wiring schemes and came to the conclusion that none of them really made sense and there was no standard, so I did what made sense to me.

first set of three coils:
        White - hot
        Green - ground

2nd set of three coils:
        Red - hot
        Black - ground

That way, when hard wired in series mode, or when tied to a dpdt switch for splitting, the pickup follows the typical convention of white - hot, black - ground for 2 wire pickups. The grounds follow the convention of using black and green.
        Last edited by ScottA; 04-09-2017, 05:21 PM.
        www.zexcoil.com

Comment

Originally posted by ScottA View Post
          ... so I did what made sense to me.

first set of three coils:
          White - hot
          Green - ground

2nd set of three coils:
          Red - hot
          Black - ground

That way, when hard wired in series mode, or when tied to a dpdt switch for splitting, the pickup follows the typical convention of white - hot, black - ground for 2 wire pickups. The grounds follow the convention of using black and green.
          Yup. That's how I hooked up the DiMarzio Model P in my second-hand PBass.
          Didn't have Google back then.
          DiMarzio came so close to getting it right.

-rb
          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
            Isn't it a little late to make that decree? Should all non-conforming pickups from the last ~40 years be recalled?
            Besides, if everyone copied DiMarzio's code, Larry would probably sue for infringement.
            40 years? Who else besides DiMarzio was making pickups with 4-conductor cable in 1977?
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
              40 years? Who else besides DiMarzio was making pickups with 4-conductor cable in 1977?
              rjb used the tilde to mean "approximately" and I said "about 40 years". I happen to have a double cream butyrate "The JB Model" that has original 4-conductor wiring. That's late 70s, possibly 77 but more likely 78 or 79. I'd have to ask Seymour next time I see him but I'm pretty sure he would have put 4-c on rewinds prior to that upon request.

So at that time you'd be talking about only a couple years of competition from another small business with products likely numbering in the hundreds, not even the thousands. Not what anyone would have considered industry standard at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                rjb used the tilde to mean "approximately" and I said "about 40 years".
                Let's say "40 years +/- 20%". Is that better?
                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Yep, it's black +, white, red, & green -grd, SD style for me.
                  If Dimarzio uses another color code, that's reason enough for me, not to use it!
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 04-10-2017, 06:36 PM.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

rjb used the tilde to mean "approximately" and I said "about 40 years". I happen to have a double cream butyrate "The JB Model" that has original 4-conductor wiring. That's late 70s, possibly 77 but more likely 78 or 79. I'd have to ask Seymour next time I see him but I'm pretty sure he would have put 4-c on rewinds prior to that upon request.

So at that time you'd be talking about only a couple years of competition from another small business with products likely numbering in the hundreds, not even the thousands. Not what anyone would have considered industry standard at that time.
                    I actually have a hand written letter from Seymour about having a Rick toaster pickup rewound from back then. But lets be honest here, DiMarzio, Hi-A and Bill Lawrence were the first three replacement pickup makers. We can probably add Dan Armstrong in there, but I don't remember seeing those as aftermarket pickups. Seymour was doing rewinds in the beginning. So the first pickup most people saw with 4 conductor wiring was the DiMarzio Dual Sound in 1974. As seen on Al DiMeola's guitar.

Interestingly I asked Seymour about making the toaster into a stacked humbucker, since it had the long magnets (I got the idea from the Les Paul Recording pickups). He said that wouldn't work. This was probably 1974 or '75. But then he patented his stacked pickup in 1983.
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                    X