Crate Vintage Club 50 Head Is Hissing and Crackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crate Vintage Club 50 Head Is Hissing and Crackling

I have a 1998 Crate Vintage Club 50 head. It is making a fairly loud hissing and crackling sound even with the volume and gain knobs turned all the way down and no guitar plugged in. All the tubes are new. I even took out all the preamp tubes and powered it up and it still makes the same noise. Turning up the volume and gain has no effect on the sound... it remains a constant hissing and crackling sound. I have plugged it into several different outlets and it maintains the hissing and crackling.

Perhaps its time to look beyond the tubes and towards the power supply or resistors... Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how was the problem resolved?

Did it do this with the old tubes? Just because a tube is new, doesn;t mean it is good. I'd still bet first on a bad power tube.

Tap on each power tube. Does it affect the noise on any of them?
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Yes! However, as you stated it can still be the tubes... I tapped on the output tubes and did not hear any additional sounds...just the constant hissing and crackling... By the way, the amp sounds good if you can get beyond the noise

Comment

Chances are it is just one of them.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Can I do as I did with the preamp tubes.. just pull them out one at a time? Will the amp still power on?

Comment

Yes, you can remove individual power tubes. Or for that matter you can just plug in one at a time, keeping in mind the sound won;t be as clpear adn little power will be available, but enough to see if the tube is bad or not.

Comment

Thanks a million Enzo! You were absolutely on target... One of the output tubes was not properly seated. Pushed it in all the way and the noice is gone! The amp sounds wonderful... You really know your stuff!

Comment

hello,

i have the same problem with my crate blue voodoo 50 head. it's absoloutely the same. can you help me? i didn't exactly understand the process. (maybe because my english is not good enough).

Should i unplug all of the tubes? and then try to plug them one by one?

please help.

Comment

Yes, I did as Enzo suggested. I pulled the tubes out one at a time until the hissing and crackling went away. I actually put the same tube back in the amp. It now works fine. It has a beautiful tone!

Perhaps you can do the same... Let me know how it works out. Please thank Enzo if this resolves your problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X