Peavey Transtube 112

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Transtube 112

I own a Peavey Bandit Transtube 112 amp which has a 2 button footswitch. One button switches between two channels, and the other turns the boost on and off. The same pedal is used by Peavey on other amps and the second button activates the reverb on the other amps.

Anyway, I tried to add LEDs to the footswitch. This is what I did .... I measured voltage at the switch and got 15 volts.....I then went to Radio Shack and bought LEDs that were rated for between 12 and 16 volts, and intalled them....the LEDs worked, but the switch did not activate the functions it was supposed to....I then measured resistance and got about 1.7 on each LED.....

Can someone help me out with this......I am not electronically inclined.

The Peavey switch part number is 5436.

Most led's run off of about 1.2 volts & always some sort of current limiting resistors in series with them. I have to assume that is what Ratshack did with those leds.
    If they didn't, then that is why you're measuring such low resistance across those leds as they are probably shorted now. In fact if you are using the diode checker setting on your meter, they should only read one direction & then only around 1.2v drop in the one direction.
    I'm not certain about how the switching works on the bandit, but it might not be able to correctly power the led's without affecting the switching circuitry, in other words, they led's themselves might be enough to keep the feature activated even when the led is on.

glen

Comment

Thanks for the help. Someone suggested using DPST switches and adding a 9 volt battery to power the LEDs independently.....I think I might try that.

Comment

If the LEDs light, they are OK, and those 1.7v readings are normal. LEDs don't have voltage ratings, are you sure the package didn't say 15milliAMPs.

I don't have the schemo handy, but the current through the LEDs is enough to trigger the circuits in the amp, THAT is why it no longer switches. Though it would reduce the brightness, adding resistamce in series with the LED might help.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X