Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weber Amp Kits...

Howdy,

Anyone attempted one of these? And, after the attempt, were you happy with the results? They look like a great deal.
    Thanks.

Hey Jared, fellow Torontonian!

I've built a few Weber kits over the years... usually upgraded with some nicer parts.

5F1 Champ, with Mercury transformers (currently a blackface clone circuit)
    5E3x2. which sounded very 5e3 like, b ut i have since changed my mind lol good kit, but it seems i am not as into tweeds as i thought i was!
    5e3 kit for a buddy who really liked my x2 head

I usually upgrade the generic caps with Mallory or Orange drops. depending on what i am going for.

Comment

oh yeah, and i have a 6a14hp (high power princeton reverb) kit on the way once the cabinet is finished.

Also used one of their extra deep blues junior cabs for a project, liked it a lot, but had to sell the amp a while back... nice cabinet though.

Comment

I' ve built several of the Weber kits. My advice is they are not really intended for newbies, they are intended for people that have some electronics and building skills, that can work from a schematic and layout and don't need detailed instructions. If you really want to do one anyway, stick to something like a 5F1.

Comment

Originally posted by hasserl View Post
          I' ve built several of the Weber kits. My advice is they are not really intended for newbies, they are intended for people that have some electronics and building skills, that can work from a schematic and layout and don't need detailed instructions. If you really want to do one anyway, stick to something like a 5F1.
          +1

If you are new to amp building, looking at the kits page, there is a complexity meter, which goes from "fairly complex" to "extremely complex" there is no simple about it. no instructions. standard disclaimer being B+ voltage can kill your ass dead without difficulty and if it does, its your fault.

But if you can read schematics, and layouts, and you are handy with a soldering iron and willing to do all the research you can build it.

not to harp on a point, but if it is your first build, stick to a 5f1 (or 5f1a... wish i had a bigger speaker cab for my champ ) there are LOTS of websites around detailing people building champs and champ style amps. many with an endless array of pics and videos.

If you ARE experienced, and have done a few projects. then go for it. Nice cabinets, NICE speakers, and well laid out kits. aside from my own problems of working in a crowded 5e3 chassis, it is all good (I started out modding Traynors... SOOO MUCH ROOM!)

Just be sure of what you want. I liked the 5e3 combo, built a 5e3x2 head, and realized part of the magic of 5e3's is the open back combo cab. and that 5e3x2 wouldn't give me much more headroom (maybe 10%) Looking back i should have built a tweed super or low power twin head... but i was into my neil young groove and wanted something to rock out on "Love to burn"

Comment

I just did one (for the hell of it - out of sympathy to support Weber VST after the passing of Ted last year) - a BFPR cloney thing (6A14). Everything was there that you need to build with, but some parts are bottom-shelf bits that you might want to upgrade (I don't like the cheap plastic lamp holder that came with the kit, and the tubes were workable but not optimal etc. Some guys like to put in fancier trannies) - but good value for money nevertheless. The speaker is terrific. Cost for complete amp (incl cab and speaker) was US$675 (including shipping half-way around the world) - delivery time about 4 weeks from order. Probably (to me) not much difference in cost from doing scratch-build, but if you are doing a 1st-time build, very handy. You still need a basic tool-up: like a good multi-meter, drill set, soldering irons (& solder), wire strippers, pliers, spanners, screwdrivers etc
            Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

I just finalized the AB200 bass head and it came out just fine. I changed the preamp tubes and knobs from the original ones. There were some mismatches between the schematic and the layout, and a filter cap for the B+ failed due to excess voltage (I was sent replacement caps at no cost). This was also my first build, guess I was lucky...

Cost was 924$ incl shipping + another 300$ for VAT and customs fee here in Sweden.

Comment

No, I am absolutley and totally inexperienced at soldering and electronics in general. I would definately have to enlist the support of a friend who is a certified electrician. Have you ever built one of trinity's kits?

Comment

I didn't build a weber kit , but I used their chassis, transformers and speaker for a 5f2a. All worked fine. The chassis chrome was good and lettering looks good.

If you are really new at this and looking for step-by-step instructions, maybe have a look at this 18watt valve junior pcb: Build Manual

They have a build manual which also covers initial fire up and trouble-shooting, but also takes you through every step of the procedure. I know its not the same as point-to-point, or turret board construction, but it is probably more forgiving of a beginner and you can make a good-sounding amp and learn some skills, which will make you want to go on and build the next one. And, yes, you can "mod" the circuit quite easily. Also, they have detailed bill-of-materials with parts numbers from Mouser and AES which saves you the trouble of sourcing parts, so even though not a kit, the thinking is done for you.

Additionally, they have plans to use a valve junior as a parts donor (I didn't try this) and save a little dough, which is always appreciated, particularly if you are married.

I bought the "baby will" board and used it for one of my own projects and it works great and 18watt is a nice-sounding amp. I was impressed at the detail in the instructions. The board itself is 1/8" thick - not flimsy, every part location is silk-screened on the board. The most difficult thing I found is drilling the tube socket holes in metal in the correct location. What I did there was to use the unpopulated board to "spot" the holes (get a 1/8" transfer punch) and then drill the holes for the sockets and solder the sockets while fitted in the holes. This way, even if your technique at spotting holes is not the best, you end up with a custom fit. The instructions include templates and also even templates for faceplates.

The only other issue I had was grounding my input jack (trivial). I used insulated cliff jack - make sure to take the jack ground back to the circuit board (there is a hole for it).

The proprietor of the site, Terry, was very helpful and answered questions by email.

Comment

If you want to build a kit but need some more detailed info on how to put it all together try a Mission Amps kit, or an Allen Amps kit. A bit more money than a Weber kit, but they come with instructions, better parts (switches, jacks, sockets, etc) and Bruce at Mission and David at Allen are really great guys to work with and will help you if needed. Bruce must spend half of his time around here answering questions from folks who didn't even buy from him. First class guys that deserve our support.
                    Last edited by hasserl; 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I went to Mission's site. Thanks for that one. Their amps look amazing. And the prices are fantastic, compared to say the Fender or Peavey hand wired series. I'd love to hear one.

Comment

I haven't built a trinity kit, but i DID have an amp that was built out of one of their kits. a 2x12 18 watter. Sounded pretty good, but I am not much of an el84 guy, they always seema little too bright for me.

Parts seemed nice, and when i was considering a dc30 type amp i looked at the tc18 for quite a while.

Seemed like a nice bunch a guys, and local!

Comment

I like the el84s for sound, but as enzo has said several times, they were never built for a combo amp. the next amp i get will have 6l6s. trinity will build any of their amps with either 6l6s or in the case of heads, they will build with both, 6l6s and el84s, a unique option.

Comment

I built a 5e3. I am a newbie to amp building. But I can follow a schematic and have a little background in electronics from some hobbies way back.

If it is your first electronics project (of any type), you might need more prescriptive guidance.

Their kits are fine. I did upgrade a few parts.
                            I am learning. My posts should not be considered as expert advice or suggestions for you to implement... on the contrary, I am looking for expert advice!

Comment

Bruce at Mission makes the best kit for a noob in my opinion. He'll take the time to talk with you on the phone and his photos do a great job of walking you thru the entire build process. Weber kits serve a purpose, but you won't get the same support, nor the quality of parts that you'll get with a Mission Tweedy Deluxe.

Comment

Working...
                              X