low tech.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low tech.

Anyone have a quick fix suggestion for remotely manipulating the trigger on an old variable speed hand drill? I'm not worried about the drill, it's an extra. I hope I'm not being too vague. I've been up for 40+ hours here. (my 2 year old was in the hospital last night-hemophila-he's fine but I'm still riding the espresso wave of not knowing when we'd be released.) Anyway, my makeshift bench top winder this week is this drill mounted on the bench top that I have been "controlling" with the switch on a power strip. (if anybody wants the parts list of this build re-read the last sentence.) This set up works but the abrupt start up has yielded several nail biting moments concerning touch and tension. All that fly fishing's finally paying off! I considered a dimmer switch but I'm not too sure where it would be best located and wouldn't mind avoiding a dimmer switch purchase if at all possible. I almost rigged up the hand brake from a ten speed to squeeze and release the actual trigger but thought I'd try a post here first. BTW before I found this drill I used to mount the pickup to the bench and run around it 5000 times carrying the spool. Thanks in advance.

I've seen it done with a cable attached to the trigger that pressed it in when you step on a pedal. All mechanical.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Tape the power switch on the drill so its always on and get a dimmer switch. You get used to using a manual knob to control speed real fast, I have a real winder that came with a foot pedal, but they are too crude to control so got a high wattage pot the same as in the foot pedal and rigged it up, so all my winding is control by a knob for speed. Very nice because you can leave it at low speed or whatever, and turn it off when you're not winding....
      Why don't you just get an old sewing machine motor and rig that up to a dimmer switch? you just need to build a wood box, put some bronze bearings in it with a 1/2" steel shaft, and some pulleys rigged up. Some guys wind on drill presses with a variac too....
      http://www.SDpickups.com
      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Most variable speed drills have a trigger lock, so you don't need the tape. That's a good idea though. I have a router speed control... I have to give that a try.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I usually use my drill press, I've been exiled to the basement for the time being and I started a little project for my down time. This is more an exercise in making due. On the other hand this entire rig would fit in a shoe box. Can't say that about a drill press. I didn't get to anything today, I'm planning on rigging up a mechanical fix on friday. I'm looking forward to grabbing one of Lollar's books finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
            Tape the power switch on the drill so its always on and get a dimmer switch. You get used to using a manual knob to control speed real fast, I have a real winder that came with a foot pedal, but they are too crude to control so got a high wattage pot the same as in the foot pedal and rigged it up, so all my winding is control by a knob for speed. Very nice because you can leave it at low speed or whatever, and turn it off when you're not winding....
            Why don't you just get an old sewing machine motor and rig that up to a dimmer switch? you just need to build a wood box, put some bronze bearings in it with a 1/2" steel shaft, and some pulleys rigged up. Some guys wind on drill presses with a variac too....
            My ghetto winder uses a cheap Ryobi drill hooked up to a dimmer...it works great and was uber cheap.

Comment

Yep.

You mind elaborating a bit csparks? Not to make you do all the foot work, I just don't feel like doing any of the foot work.

Comment

this should give you an idea how simple you can build a much better winder than a drill, sewing machine motors are cheap:
                GOLD EDITION ELECTRIC BOBBIN WINDER, Spinning - eBay (item 160397915015 end time Feb-22-10 17:14:09 PST)
                Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Originally posted by Faux Hog View Post
                  You mind elaborating a bit csparks? Not to make you do all the foot work, I just don't feel like doing any of the foot work.
                  Not much to elaborate on....I have a drill that turns a bobbin. The drill is hooked up to a plug that is hooked up to a dimmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Possum View Post
                    this should give you an idea how simple you can build a much better winder than a drill, sewing machine motors are cheap:
                    GOLD EDITION ELECTRIC BOBBIN WINDER, Spinning - eBay (item 160397915015 end time Feb-22-10 17:14:09 PST)
                    Or, you can just use what you have at hand to build one....I don't think the OP is trying to go pro. You gotta start somewhere.

Comment

Well ya know, Leo Fender's personal winder was nothing more than a sewing machine motor and a pulley with a counter on it, alot easier to use than a drill. But I guess if you're only going to do a couple pickups a year yeah a drill would be fine.
                      Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I'm hoping that the drill is just a starting point. I should be ready to progress to the next level at some point. Then I'm sure I'll start getting more complex in my winder designs.

Comment

Jason Lollar is selling his pickup making book again, you should buy it just to read what you're getting into and get some ideas about the winder. My first winder was built from that book, but could never get a handle on the automatic traverse so ended up taking it off. See the thread where he announces its rerelease...
                          Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

Possum, I agree and I'm glad he's selling it again. That's one I NEED to add to the library.

Comment

Working...
                            X