Connecting 2 amps to 1 speaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting 2 amps to 1 speaker

Is it possible to put two amps through one speaker? What does this do to the impedance and can the "backwash" harm the other amp?

Richard,

While you "sorta kinda maybe" get away with it - I've done some QAD ("quick and dirty") experimentation in the past - I'd generally not recommend it. Now I assume that you're talking about using the "same" speaker (not one speaker in a multiple speaker cabinet connected to one amp and a different speaker in the same cab connected to the other - which can create some interesting sonic artifacts if this is what you're after) simultaneously connected to two different amplifiers. If the amps are as "identical" as possible and the same signal is fed into both with the speaker secondaries in series this may work - sorta like "bridging" SS amps - you probably won't damage the "identical" amps but this will play hell with the NFB loop of the "lower" amp in the pair. I'm pretty sure that I remember a 1940s design - when output tubes were of lower power - designed like this but I would avoid doing so unless you are very familiar with tube amplifier circuits and performance cuz under the best of circumstances I suspect that much tweaking would be involved.

Hope this helps

Rob

Comment

Working...
    X