Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plate voltage and other questions on 5E3 ProLuxe type circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plate voltage and other questions on 5E3 ProLuxe type circuit?

In a circuit like Weber's 5E3P, what type of plate voltage is supplied to the 6L6s? I see it uses the same PT as the std 5E3 kit, but specs a GZ34 rectifier in place of the 5Y3.

Also, what's the overall sound like on the 5E3P compared to the 5E3? Do you get a little more headroom before it breaks up? Does the OD sound compare at all?

If you were trying to get the OD sound of the 5E3 along with a little more headroom, is this circuit a good choice? Or maybe a hybrid of this and the std circuit? Maybe keep the fixed bias and revert to the cathodyne PI?

Thanks for any info!!

Originally posted by CitizenCain View Post
    In a circuit like Weber's 5E3P, what type of plate voltage is supplied to the 6L6s? I see it uses the same PT as the std 5E3 kit, but specs a GZ34 rectifier in place of the 5Y3.

Also, what's the overall sound like on the 5E3P compared to the 5E3? Do you get a little more headroom before it breaks up? Does the OD sound compare at all?

If you were trying to get the OD sound of the 5E3 along with a little more headroom, is this circuit a good choice? Or maybe a hybrid of this and the std circuit? Maybe keep the fixed bias and revert to the cathodyne PI?

Thanks for any info!!
    I'm running around 395volts at the plate. This is with the 5u4g rectifier. I don't really have a comparison for you as this was my first experience with these style fenders. I built it when I saw the Richter video on U-tube and had to have one. I'm also running my OT at 4400K on the primary and I'm not sure if this is stock for the weber proluxe. I used a different OT though I based my build on the proluxe and used their PT.

Comment

Anything from about 380 to 480 is a good idle plate voltage for a 6L6 - the lower side being better for cathode-biased amps. The more important aspect is how much plate current you have for the particular idle voltage that you have. (Current x Voltage = Wattage. You don't want to exceed the tubes' rated maximum power dissipation in cathode bias, or about 70% of the max in fixed bias)
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Oh yes, taking the proper bias into account is a given

Comment

Working...
        X