Schematic critique: GU50 SE amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schematic critique: GU50 SE amp

I'm posting my newest idea (based on some tubes i had lying around).
    Please be gentle. I'm open for any suggestions and ideas.
    Thanks!
    Attached Files

Originally posted by tubby View Post
    I'm posting my newest idea (based on some tubes i had lying around).
    Please be gentle. I'm open for any suggestions and ideas.
    Thanks!
    Well, I think your 6V6 driver biased with a 500 ohm resistor will overheat that 5K1@11 w plate load resistor and unwisely use up about +40ma of your power supply current to boot.
    I don't know what the requirements of the power tube are.
    Looking around I see other builders using much less of a tube... like a 6SN7 driver but at the very least you could also consider a SE coupling tranny for this.
    Look at the way an old Fender Music Master bass amp is done... not the same since it is push pull but you'll get the idea.
    Assuming you also did a Google search, I think you can find an easier approach.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruce / Mission Amps; 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM.
    Bruce

Mission Amps
    Denver, CO. 80022
    www.missionamps.com
    303-955-2412

Comment

I was aiming at an overdriven power pentode sound at a lower level, that's why the 6V6 is there. I didn't want to use a coupling tranny as it would be way more expensive and larger than a few power resistors. I realize this thing may be more effective as a small room heater than as a guitar amp, but hey, SE amps aren't about efficiency anyways...

So, I've updated the schematic (thx for the input Bruce) and I've put in some theoretical voltages. I'm not sure about my screen supply, is this overkill? Does the voltage divider make any sense here? Also the filtering in the power supply seems a lot, am I asking for PT problems? I do want to make sure it's hum-free.
      Attached Files

Comment

The GU50 might look like a misshapen coffee pot, but it's just a pentode. I'd be inclined to use it as if it were an EL34 on steroids.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          The GU50 might look like a misshapen coffee pot...

Comment

Working...
          X