What did I do wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do wrong?

The plan is to take a quad 6v6 power amp complete with electrodynamic speakers I got from an FR-40 Hammond Tone Cabinet (schematic attached) and use it as a power amp for my mixer-preamp for voice and acoustic guitar. I followed the instructions for connecting the unbalanced signal from a preamp to the G-G balanced input of the FR-40 (below) and they seem simple enough.
    So, the test failed. I tried connecting both a line-out and a headphone-out from a small practice amp to the new input, as modified in the instructions. There was complete silence, with zero sound from the speakers. All the tubes lit up, and everywhere I checked voltage it matched the schematic. I had a spare 6sn7 to switch, but no change. What did I do wrong?
    If it's only a matter of input level, I got parts and room to add a 12ax7 stage, but I don't know how to connect it to the G-G input. Any suggestions?

(From a post by MikeFulk on TheHammondForum.)
    To run a signal output into any HammondToneCabinet (in a quick-down-'n-dirty-but-it-works-and-is-harmless-way):
    1. Connect two 200 ohm 1/4 watt, (higher wattage is OK), resistors in series.
    2. Connect hot and ground of your signal output to either end of these "series-ed" resistors. (Do not connect ground of your device to tone cabinet ground.)
    3. Connect these two ends of series-ed resistors with signal of your device connected to them to the G-G inputs (pins 1 and 6) of ToneCabinet.
    4. Where the resistors in series meet, make a connection from there to tone cabinet ground (pin 2.)
    5. The signal stength should be pretty high --- loudspeaker level or a little lower, and the lower the impedance of the source, the better.
    6. Tried and true, and, incidentally, the way the Hammond Company reccommended hooking up a Solovox to a Hammond Tone Cabinet in 1941.
    Voila.
    Attached Files

Wheewww!!!
    It works. Operator error. Originally I tried to power it up wit a line-out and then a headphone out, but it turns out that was just not enough juice.

I ran it up off a speaker out from my ss bass amp and it sang soooo sweet with guitar! Then I tried it on the mixer and it worked fine, but the sound quality was bland. I guess the tone of the preamp really varies, even among ss amps.

I think I'll box it up now, and schlep it on over to guitar center and see how it sounds on one of those little tube preamps. Good news also is that I will also be able to use it with the Hoffman AC-30 project I'm working on. I can match both 2-12 cabinet designs and stack them up like a 'short-stack' for some performance situations.

I'm all excited now! Woo-hoo!

Comment

Working...
    X