Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cab Design: Avatar 2x12 w/ Greenbacks: Way Too Boomy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Design: Avatar 2x12 w/ Greenbacks: Way Too Boomy!

I've heard so many outstanding reviews of the Avatar 2x12 cabs that I thought I'd try one out. I decided to go with a pair of Greenbacks in a closed back cab for a "vintage" classic rock sound.

The results so far have been a little disappointing, as I've run into two problems: 1) excessive boominess, and 2) harsh clipping at louder volumes on the higher notes on the high E-string.

I guess I'll start off by saying that my reference standard for "balanced" sound in a speaker is an EVM-15L in an EV TL-606 Thiele-Small enclosure built of marine grade baltic birch plywood. I use that cab for both guitar and 4-string bass, and its response is essentially flat, with no peakiness at the high end, and essentially flat at the low end with an f3 in stepped-down mode at about 40 Hz. The bass response of that cab is so good that when I play any of my amps through that cab, regardless of whether I'm playing clean or distorted, I often have the Bass control turned down to a minimal setting -- not necessarily at 0, but typically not over 3 or 4.

Problem 1: The Avatar 2x12 closed-back cab with new Greenbacks is HORRIBLY BOOMY.

The bass response of this speaker/cab combo is abnormal. I mean, it goes BOOM! BOOM! and it sounds like a Ghetto Blaster. Something is definitely not right. Even when I dial the Bass down to Zero, there's still too much bass. The only way that I can stand to play the cab is to provide some EQ cut. When using my Mesa Mk IV, for example, I have to use a lot of cut on the 80 Hz slider to make things tolerable. That isn't a particularly appealing opiton, as not all of my amps have EQ. Something definitely needs to be done to tame the bass in this beast. It sounds as if there's a resonant peak in both the amp and the cab that's abnormally magnifying the bass response. More on that later.

Problem 2: Metallic harshness on high notes instead of "compression"

There's also another problem with the cab -- the Greenbacks develop a pretty harsh metallic sound when they're fed power that comes anywhere near their power rating. Now I understand that Greenbacks will break up early and that this is part of their charm. Even in a closed back cab, its impossible to get any sort of BIG, loud and clear bass notes out of them at any appreciable volume. I can accept that, as these speakers will never compare to the EV for that sort of thing.

But some of their breakup is damned ugly -- especially on the high E string above the 14th fret. Long singing blues notes don't compress -- I hear a harsh and metallic sort of rubbing sound, as if there's some serious cone-cry or ghost noting going on.

I've swapped amps and cabs to eliminate the ghost noting hypothesis -- that's not the problem. So its definitely cone cry or just very harsh breakup. I'm getting a new 2x12 shipped in from Avatar to confirm that defective speakers isn't the problem.

Is this something that might go away with break-in, or are these Greenbacks always going to sound this ugly on the high notes whenever they're fed a reasonable amount of power?

Getting back to the BOOMINESS problem, here's what I've been thinking might be the culprits:

1. Box Construction The Avatar cab is made out of voidless 13-ply baltic birch, so it won't be as damped as an MDF cab would be. From a theoretical standpoint, I think that this should help to augment the cab's bass response, and might be contributing to the excessive bass problem.

2. Speaker Resonance.
    Celestion lists the Fs (speaker resonance frequency) of the Greenback as 75 Hz, which seems kind of high -- that is to say, one might expect that it would cause boominess in the lower octave of a guitar.

I've thought about crunching the numbers for a sealed box enclosure using this driver, but unfortunately Celestion doesn't disclose the necessary T-S parameters for their speakers. Notably, they provide Fs of 75 Hz in their speaker data, but they fail to report other TS parameters, such as Qts. This, of course, makes it difficult if not impossible to approach the problem from an engineering standpoint. So it looks like I'm stuck with emperical approaches.

So I guess I'd like to ask a couple of questions before I take any further action.

a. Does anyone know the T-S parameters for the Celestion Greenback? I have read on the Celestion web site that they don't like to report T-S parameters because they don't think they're meaningful. Celestion has gone so far as to say that their speakers perform well in any closed back enclosure. I would have to disagree with them.

I've sent Celestion an email requesting this data, but I doubt that it will be forthcoming. I guess my only other option would be to calculate the T-S parameters myself, but that seems like an awful waste of time: http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad3.htm

b. Is this boominess here to stay, or will it go away after break in?

c. What's the best way to break-in the speaker without placing it at risk?
    I've considered the 60 Hz AC variac option, the option of playing music through the cabinet, and driving the speakers with a sweep function generator. I've also thought about a more novel approach -- placing the speakers in free air and driving them at their resonant frequency while not exceeding Xmax. Theoretically, this should be safer for the voice coils, but unfortunately, Celestion doesn't tell us the value of Xmax.

d. Will stuffing the box help?
    IIRC stuffing a box with fiberglass or synthetic fabric batting will help to decrease the resonant frequency of the box. I'm wondering if anyone could report their observations in this regard.

TIA.
    "Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

uh...what AMP are you using?
    FWIW I have found most BF/SF Fenders to be way boomy when run into a closed cab. Their 'stacks are dialed for open back cabs and seem to have way too much bass in there to compensate...

-A-
    Cheers,

Alexander
    Austin Texas
    www.retrodyne-austin.com

Comment

I think that just is the classic rock sound. The big flabby booming bass comes from too many large speakers with stiff suspension, stuffed into a too small cabinet, and driven by a tube amp with poor damping factor. The mathematically correct cabinet for a 4x12" is about the size of a small Japanese car, so nobody ever bothers. Hence every 2x12" or 4x12" I've ever seen has a big resonant peak at around 90-150Hz. And, rock guitar speakers are probably voiced with aggressive midrange to project and cut through the mix. This horrible comb filter-y mess in the upper midrange as the cone starts to break up is what gives different guitar speakers their signature sounds.

You're probably used to a more hi-fi bass from a properly designed bass reflex box, and, if you use a 15", a laid-back midrange (with minimised breakup if it was a PA speaker) and non-existent high end.

If you spend a few hours breaking the speakers in, the bass may get less boomy and the midrange less harsh. The cones need a good flapping to loosen the suspension up. I heard some people play bass-heavy club music through them for hours or even apply 60Hz from a variac like you said.

Putting some acoustic wadding in the cabinet might help tame it too. I used to have a 2x12" with a pillow in it. I never did get it sounding right, though.
      Last edited by Steve Conner; 01-23-2007, 02:03 PM.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Well, I got the replacement box yesterday. (The original had a tolex rip and got exchanged). The first thing that I decided to do was to pummel the cab with 24-hours of the 'Zeppelin BBC sessions to try to "train" the cones a little. Hopefully that will loosen them up a bit. Maybe I'll get lucky and find out that driver compliance is the problem and the problem will improve with time.

About that resonant peak at 90-150 Hz -- I haven't hooked up my test gear yet to actually measure the box's response, but I imagine that at least part of the problem I'm hearing is the resonance hump you've described. I think that no matter what, I'm going to have to make a trip to the fabric store and pick up a bunch of Dacron batting to stuff the cab like a Fender 2x12. Hopefully that will help to shift the resonant frequency of the box down so that its not at the same frequency as the resonant frequency of the speaker. Right now, I'm guessing that there's some pretty significant sympathetic enhancement going on. Hopefully if I stuff the cab with batting, we'll get closer to a 'japanese car' sized cab and I'll push the cab frequency down into the bass range.

Regarding speakers I'm used to hearing -- I had mentioned my fondness for the EVM-15L, which has the same top end response as an EVM-12L. They're not PA speakers, and they have no shortage of high mid response, but they don't have the 'exaggerated' peak that is characteristic of the Celestions.

thanks for your ideas.

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Comment

Have you tried taking the back off?

Seriously, I've never understood the attraction of closed-back cabs for anything but highly compressed/distorted guitars (bass is different)...
          Murky Mark, Minister of Musical Mischief
          http://www.harmonicappliances.com/

Comment

Open-backed cabs do have a sound all their own. I once tried a silverface Fender Twin with JBL D120s, or rather "a" JBL, the other one was blown but it was still about the nicest-sounding thing I ever heard.

They don't really have such big bass though, and if you try to compensate by boosting bass on the amp, the speakers could get damaged.

I have seen cabs with part-open backs that try to strike a compromise between the airy sound of an open back, and the fat hyped bass of a closed back. Once you start playing with these, you are obviously on a continuum that leads to Thiele-Small ported cabs, and all that theory applies. I've seen these "halfway between open-back and ported" things described as "Detuned" cabinets.

A ported cab can actually keep the response going down below the free-air resonant frequency of the speaker, and has the potential to sound huge without being boomy or hyped-up, BUT only if you tune it right The math for proper Thiele-Small design can be daunting, but I don't see anything wrong with just messing around and tuning it by ear.

At the moment, I'm using a Hiwatt reissue 2x12" cab with two unknown (possibly Eminence by the looks of them) speakers in it. I bought it second-hand thinking it had the proper Fane speakers in there, but I found these cheesy looking things with the original labels ripped off and Fane labels stuck on I sometimes use it with an open-backed 1x12".

PS. I think that exaggerated peak from Celestion speakers, and maybe the bass hump too, is a big part of what American Marshall importers used to call "English tone". People actually paid extra money for it over Fender's more hi-fi sound.
            Last edited by Steve Conner; 01-24-2007, 09:43 AM.
            "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Lavelle View Post
              Have you tried taking the back off?

Seriously, I've never understood the attraction of closed-back cabs for anything but highly compressed/distorted guitars (bass is different)...
              thanks for reading, Mark. fwiw i don't find the compression artifact to be all bad. in fact, that's a factor in the sound that i'm looking for in this cab. i just wish that it wasn't accompanied by bass that's so boomy.

yeah, i tried pulling the back off ... unfortunately when i did that with the Greenbacks the result was some worsening of the shrillness and a loss of definition at louder volumes. (i'm hoping that the shrillness could be a temporary new-speaker thing.) i guess the consensus opinion on Greenbacks is right -- they need to be in a closed back cabinet or they can turn into a "wall of mud" if you feed them any reasonable amount of power. given the choice between closed back/boomy and open back/mud, i prefer closed-back/boomy. at least i can solve the problem with an EQ stompbox if my hand is forced.

i'm continuing to pump them with break-in programming. hopefully things will improve with time...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                Open-backed cabs do have a sound all their own. I once tried a silverface Fender Twin with JBL D120s, or rather "a" JBL, the other one was blown but it was still about the nicest-sounding thing I ever heard.
                Steve, I am a big fan of the JBL and EV speakers with Fender amps. I really like an open-backed EVM-15L with a Fender amp -- its really something special. I guess that's why there's all the fuss about the Vibroclones with an EVM-15L. For my purposes, though, I can't afford to keep too many cabs around, so my 15L lives in a Thiele-Small cab. That way it can double for Guitar and 4-string Bass.

I have seen cabs with part-open backs that try to strike a compromise between the airy sound of an open back, and the fat hyped bass of a closed back. Once you start playing with these, you are obviously on a continuum that leads to Thiele-Small ported cabs, and all that theory applies. I've seen these "halfway between open-back and ported" things described as "Detuned" cabinets.

A ported cab can actually keep the response going down below the free-air resonant frequency of the speaker, and has the potential to sound huge without being boomy or hyped-up, BUT only if you tune it right The math for proper Thiele-Small design can be daunting, but I don't see anything wrong with just messing around and tuning it by ear.
                I'm entirely willing to go the Thiele-Small route if that's what it takes to get a handle on the bass response of this cab. It would be simple enough to modify the baffle to include a proper-sized port. The biggest impediment along these lines, though, is that Celestion is a manufacturer who just won't report T-S parms for their products. I don't know whether this is because they have a lot of variability in production and don't want to have to meet a standard, or what. Because they won't stand by a number, I'm forced to approach the problem with educated guesses, rather than using math to solve the problem. That alone is making it hard to fall in love with these speakers. If I had bought a pair of EVM-12L the work would be done already.

PS. I think that exaggerated peak from Celestion speakers, and maybe the bass hump too, is a big part of what American Marshall importers used to call "English tone". People actually paid extra money for it over Fender's more hi-fi sound.
                I'd have to agree with you on that!

Comment

I have an 8 ohm Avatar 2x12 closed back. Its their cheaper model. I've definitely noticed the boom you are talking about. It can be difficult to tame. You might want to try their open back which is more of a semi-open back (ie football back). I think they will sell one to you for around $35 plus shipping.
                  For reference I am using a Twin clone and have tried a ton of different speakers in it. The best combination I've found is a Weber Alnico Silverbell 50watt and a Tone Tubby Ceramic H1E. I also pull two of the tubes from the twin and I am very happy with the tone I am getting from the cab. One of the worst speakers for that cab that I tried was ironically the Hellatone 30 (which is not too far from the Greenback?) It definitely had some ice pick in the higher registers. Oh yeah, I don't seem to notice the boominess if I crank the amp and play loud

Comment

+many on the EV speakers! They sound awesome and they sound the same no matter how much juice you put to them!
                    Oh, wait, now people will drive the price up! They're awful!

Comment

I'd love to get hold of some EV or JBL 12"s, ever since I heard that Twin. I noticed EV have reissued the EVM-12L as a Zakk Wylde "Black Label" signature edition with a beefed up magnet. Do you think that would be any good compared to the original? It surely looks mean with its cast basket and 16lb ceramic magnet.

I don't always like to rock out, but if it were anything like an original EV, it should completely nail a whole range of sound from Dick Dale to Dimebag Darrell

BTW, those open backs with the football-sized oval hole would count as a detuned ported cabinet to me.

Comment

Originally posted by cocobolo View Post
                        I have an 8 ohm Avatar 2x12 closed back. Its their cheaper model. I've definitely noticed the boom you are talking about. It can be difficult to tame. You might want to try their open back which is more of a semi-open back (ie football back). I think they will sell one to you for around $35 plus shipping.
                        Its funny you should mention their oval-ported cabinet. When I was purchasing the 2x12 I spoke to Dave at Avatar and asked him about sliding an extra backpanel into the box with my 2x12 so that it could get a free ride in shipping. Dave convinced me that the Greenbacks needed a closed back cab so I decided not to get the spare backpanel. Well, now that the opportunity has been missed, I'm not worried about getting an original oval-ported backpanel, as it would cost over $50 to get it here. If I need to convert the cab to an open-backed configuration, its easy enough to do that by just removing the back panel and replacing it with some 3/4-inch boards to make upper and lower 1/3 height backpanels, like on an Aiken Invader:

A simple backpanel comprised of two boards cut to fit would allow me to experiment to determine how much backpanel works out best. As you mentioned, the bass is definitely difficult to tame. Even after a little break-in I find that I still need to use some EQ cut on the lower band to make things tolerable.

BTW, those open backs with the football-sized oval hole would count as a detuned ported cabinet to me.
                        The mathematician in me shouts, "Me Too!" As it turns out, because of my disgust with the uncontrolled bass I've been crunching numbers for a 2x12 T-S array using a pair of EVM-12L as the reference speaker. More on that later...

Comment

I'd love to get hold of some EV or JBL 12"s, ever since I heard that Twin. I noticed EV have reissued the EVM-12L as a Zakk Wylde "Black Label" signature edition with a beefed up magnet. Do you think that would be any good compared to the original? It surely looks mean with its cast basket and 16lb ceramic magnet.

I don't always like to rock out, but if it were anything like an original EV, it should completely nail a whole range of sound from Dick Dale to Dimebag Darrell
                          I'm going to hijack my own thread for a minute, and date myself in the process. Steve, I've been an EV man for 30 years now. I got my first EVM-15L and my first pair of EVM-12L 30 years ago this summer.

The EVM-12L was first introduced in a 100-watt version. People now refer to that speaker as a Series I, even though it was never branded as such.

The EVM-12L was later replaced by the EVM-12L Series II. It had a 200-watt power rating.

Later on, the EVM-12L Series II was replaced by the EVM-12L Pro Line. It had a 300-watt power rating.

I've always loved my EVM-12L speakers for precisely the reasons mentioned -- they act more as transducers of the amp's sound, and less as tone coloration accessories than Celestions. With the EVs, you can be confident that when you increase the power fed to them, they'll sound the same, but louder. With Celestions, in contrast, loud and clear is next to impossible.

Some guitarists who loved the Series I and II speakers complained about the Pro-Line speakers. There are sticky internet stories about how great the Series I and II speakers are, but how bad the Pro Line speakers are -- all because the voice coil assembly has a higher power rating. Personally, I haven't ever played one of the 300-watt models so I can't comment about whether or not this is just a bunch of BS Internet Folklore, or perhaps somebody who has "vintage" Series II speakers trying to get a higher price for them. (It might be a simple as somebody having blown his 200-watt speakers, and not liking their tone after he had them reconed. All new cones sound harsh and need to be broken-in, and this harshness may have been misattributed to the 300-watt voice coil assembly.)

What I can tell you, though, is that if you ever blow a 12L or a 15L and send it back to the factory to be reconed, the only kit that the factory has available is the 300-watt kit. So all 100-watt and 200-watt speakers that get sent to the factory to be reconed will be reconed as 300-watt speakers. The cone is the same -- only the voice coil assembly is different.

The Zakk Wylde endorsed "Black Label" EVM-12L is a 300-watt speaker. Presumably this is resumed production of the ProLine rather than a reissue of the Series I or Series II. More info on the current speaker can be found here. You might want to turn down the volume on your PC speakers before using this link:

http://www.evm12lblacklabel.com/

My experience with EVs over the years has been that the Series I and II speakers sound the same. All of my EV gear is old old old, and I haven't had a chance to play any of the ProLine speakers. My take on the new Black Label speaker is that if I didn't have my old Series II speakers, I wouldn't hesitate to try the new 300-watt models. I hope that this helps.

Bob
                          Last edited by bob p; 01-26-2007, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Bob! So let me get this right: if you get any EVM-12L reconed, it ends up with the same cone and voice coil that the new Black Label model has? I think I might try and get hold of one, especially since I heard Geezer Butler uses them in his bass cabinets

Having said that, Zzounds seems to be selling a 200 watt EVM12L "Classic" and if you zoom in on the pic, it says "Series II" on the label. Did EV hear those horror stories about the Pro Line and reissue the 200 watt unit too?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ELVEVM12LCLSC

BTW, I saw this piece by Celestion's "Dr. Decibel" that explains their company policy of not publishing Thiele-Small parameters.

http://professional.celestion.com/gu...netdesign.html

To me that says "Our guitar speakers are so non-linear that we can never get the same answer twice when we try measuring the T-S parameters, so we gave up trying" ;-) To be fair, they clearly state that their speakers are intended as what you called sound colouring tools.
                            Last edited by Steve Conner; 01-26-2007, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the information, Bob! So let me get this right: if you get any EVM-12L reconed, it ends up with the same cone and voice coil that the new Black Label model has?
                              My information is old, so it could be out of date -- especially since it looks like they've reissued the 200-watt 12L as a "Classic."

The last time I had spoken to a repair tech at the factory was a couple of years ago. I had asked if I could buy some blown-out EVM-15B baskets and have them factory reconed as EVM-15L. He told me that he could recone them as 15L, but that the factory only had eliminated the 200-watt voice coils and only had 300-watt voice coils. Some people have reportedly tracked-down service centers that still have NOS 200-watt kits in-stock, but the factory only had 300-watters.

Now if the factory is offering 200-watt speakers again, one of two things has happened: they're either producting 200-watt kits again, or they're just using 300-watt kits on everything and marketing some of the speakers at 200-watts. Since EV was acquired by a conglomerate a few years ago, I wouldn't be surprised if some MBA thought of that as a cost-cutting idea, an the marketing people just decided to use the 200-watt label. As I mentioned previously, I really don't think that the 300-watt kit would be at all bad. I'd be happy with either one.

edit: fixed a typo
                              Last edited by bob p; 01-27-2007, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X