Orange 412 diy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange 412 diy

Anyone has a building plan for the Orange 4x12 cabinet?

Thank you!

bump!

this would be useful information!

Comment

Yep, indeed.

Has anyone an idea if it is made of plywood or full wood? (those cabs are really heavy)

I always thought that they had a really good sound. But after reading several threads on this forum, I came to the conclusion that cab dimensions and wood etc aren't that important for the sound.
      So, if I would construct a cab with 18mm plywood and put 4 V30's inside, I would become an almost identical sound?

Comment

I'm SURE of that, so far as it has the same internal volume, padding and vents (if any)
        Anything else is cosmetic.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

But still a build plan would be nice.

(sorry for my english, but what's "padding"?)

Comment

Hi carrejans. It would help to know where are you from, or the languages you speak, to suggest a synonym for padding.
            It refers to the fiberglass or whatever acoustic absorbent you use inside the cabinet.
            It is often not used on guitar cabs.
            Better than a plan, the full show:
            Matamp speaker cabinets under construction
            Just as a free sample:

Good luck and please, post yours
            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
              Hi carrejans. It would help to know where are you from, or the languages you speak, to suggest a synonym for padding.
              It refers to the fiberglass or whatever acoustic absorbent you use inside the cabinet.
              It is often not used on guitar cabs.
              Good luck and please, post yours
              I now know what you were referring to.

I'm not sure if I will build a cab in the near future. I'm not eager to build one, after building one combo and one head. (took a long time to make the woodwork for me)
              If I can find a second hand Orange cab for a reasonable price, I will buy it.
              If I buy 4 V30's, I already have to pay about 400 Euros. So, if I can find a second hand cab for about 450-500 Euros, I'm happy.

Comment

I notice that matamp doesn't use box joints. I guess with that fat frame in the front, it isn't necessary.

Comment

Hey!!! , they are FAMOUS and have a KILLER look, why would they bother about box joints or even worse, dovetailed ones?
                  And I'm only half joking here
                  Fender and Marshall use chipboard or at best, MDF and so on.
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Yeah, at least Orange/Matamp cabs are made out of wood!

I saw a Marshall Haze combo the other day, and the back panel is a slab of MDF with holes for cooling. Not very boutique

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_i...e/hazeback.jpg

The last speaker cabinet I bought, I got made by a company that makes flight cases. It looks pretty cool, is made of birch plywood with metal corners, and cost me less than a real speaker cab would.
                    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

I've owned a 2x12 Orange cab since the late 70's that's built like a "brick-sh*thouse". It even survived a flood in the late 80's where it was submerged for 24 hours! (and it's STILL a "killer" sounding cabinet!). Yes, it's on the heavy side, but that's WHY it's so punchy sounding (it "blows away" ANY whimpy Marshall cab!). I wouldn't suggest skimping on the wood. This one was made from marine birch (which is why it could withstand the flood). Orange & Hiwatt made the best (Brit style) cabs....hands down!
                      Mac/Amps
                      "preserving the classics"
                      Chicago, Il., USA
                      (773) 283-1217
                      (cell) (847) 772-2979
                      Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
                      www.mac4amps.com

Comment

just made my version of a orange 4x12....I will post pictures when it is finished!...it may help others, it may not.

Comment

Hi bradberry, don't forget about those pictures.eh?
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

sorry for the long wait....a lot of things came up, but here is the cab i built. basically to orange specs with a few changes that i liked.

built a pedalboard to match too:

Last edited by bradberry00; 09-02-2010, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Wow !

I had to join this forum just to say what beautiful work that is !

Comment

Working...
                              X