Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Bias Probe to get? Compu-Bias or ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Bias Probe to get? Compu-Bias or ??

I'm looking for a good Dual Bias probe. I like the Compu Bias but it is not cheap. There are a lot of choices available what do you recommend?

Aiken amps Wombat is likely better than compu:
    Wombat

if RA has the time to make them, he is a great guy and very knowledgeable, but doesn't sleep much lately.

I believe the Eurotubes probe gives straight plate voltage readings to ground and is potentially dangerous ("hmm measure mV across 1 ohm resistor, now switch to plate and....ZAAAAAK") so a probe which scales plate voltage to mV is safer. See here:
    Anyone Use The Eurotubes Bias Probe? - FRYETTE USERS FORUM

I believe these cheap ones do:
    AMP-HEAD Bias Tester Probe for Vacuum Tube Guitar Amplifier

easy to DIY too if you have a good DMM already.

Comment

It doesn't look like th Wombat was ever produced... Weber Bias Rite [Archive] - The Gear Page

Comment

Originally posted by stratburst View Post
        It doesn't look like th Wombat was ever produced... Weber Bias Rite [Archive] - The Gear Page
        then its definitely the perfect bias probe!

I made mine, its easy.

Comment

I actually did produce a few of them, but never put it into production, mainly because I couldn't find a source for 9-pin socket adapters (anyone know of one?). I have the quad-octal model that I use. I keep planning to get back on it one of these days...

RA

Comment

What good are those old archives? I purchased a Bias-Rite and received it in expected time about 8 to 10 months ago. Just ordered a Weber OT and received it promptly, no wait. The Bias-Rite is easy and safe to use. Great customer relations too! I am happy doing business with them.
            sigpicCharlieP
            (2)Peavey VK 112 2008
            Fender SuperSonic 60W 112 2010, 5E3 Build Mojotone
            Met. Red LP Gibson Robot 2008 Tronical Tuners
            Faded Cherry LP Gibson 2007
            Fender Strat HSS LSR S1 2008 Pearl
            Fend FSR Telebot Dlx Candy App 2011 Tronical Tuners
            Gretsch G5120 2007 Black

Comment

Working...
            X