Kendrick Lion VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kendrick Lion VII

On a lark, I bit the bullet and ordered a Kendrick "Lion VII" amp kit (not yet offered on the website.)

Kendrick says it is based on their "K-Spot"....it may be, I've never seen a K-Spot....but this one has only a "tone" control and no reverb.

It's built into a 5E3-type chassis, and the PT appears to be a Kendrick "Deluxe" model and the OT appears to be one of Kendrick's "Bassman" clone type (very heavy; they also gave a OT brace to attach to the cab), with JJ GZ34, 6L6GC and 12AX7 tubes. It has switchable cathode/fixed biasing as well.

The tagboard came already very-cleanly populated. A 47-page assembly guide with photographs is included (on which I sent back comments to make it clearer.)

The amp sound is very ballsy with excellent low-volume and high-volume tone, with the amp advertised at 35 watts. It is VERY quiet, with NO hum.

I've ordered a Deluxe cabinet from Bruce and have not yet decided on a speaker; it sounds pretty good through an external cab with a RedFang....so perhaps an Eminence RW&B, Screaming Eagle, or Wizard might be good choices....due to the long JJ 6L6s, an AlNiCo speaker is out of the question in that cab.

by the way, although it sounds pretty dang good (so far, but a new speaker is on the way), and the kit has high-quality parts, I'd say that ordering a "proluxe"-type or a Super kit would be much better bang for the buck.

I think Bruce has the best blend of quality/pricing.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

Comment

Although I tried one of Bruce's custom Webers in the amp, I ended-up puttingin a Reverend I had on hand....still doesn't really do it for me...so I ordered on of the British-style (60-watt) Mojo's that Bruce had mentioned over on Ampage. The only potential poblem I foresee is the size of the OT on this amp....right now it's about 1/4 inch from the Reverend's frame.

It should be here by next Wednesday/Thursday, so we'll see...

Comment

Originally posted by TD_Madden View Post
        Although I tried one of Bruce's custom Webers in the amp, I ended-up puttingin a Reverend I had on hand....still doesn't really do it for me...so I ordered on of the British-style (60-watt) Mojo's that Bruce had mentioned over on Ampage...
        It should be here by next Wednesday/Thursday, so we'll see...
        I always feel bad when a player/builder doesn't care for a speaker I like and I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the Weber Ceramic speaker.
        We also use the MOJO BV30H and BV30V in the 30 watt Aurora amps and I like them better then the custom Weber ceramic.
        The Weber one still sounds very good in the lower powered amps though.
        Bruce

Mission Amps
        Denver, CO. 80022
        www.missionamps.com
        303-955-2412

Comment

Bruce,

After all, it's just a question of taste...and I'm willing (when $'s are available) to look for what I think will sound the best.

The Mojo DOES kick major ass in this amp. I REALLY like it.

Your recommended custom-speaker went into one the tweed extension cabs I got from you....also sounds good; just not AS good (to me).

Comment

Working...
          X