BNC or Banana Jacks to 1/4 jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNC or Banana Jacks to 1/4 jack

I am purchasing a new function generator, and I'm wondering how I can use it to go to the input jacks on guitar amps, all i have seen is banana jacks or BNC, But i cant find a cable or adapter to feed it in, I am new at this, but its all a part of learning

What's coming out of your sig generator? bnc or banana? YOu should be able to find the connector and gender you need at mouser.com or digikey.com

Comment

I'm looking at these options

1. Has 1/4 jack on the backhttp://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/72-490

2. Has Banana Jacks ROOM EQ SINE SQUARE WAVE AUDIO TEST OSCILLATOR 4 PULTEC on eBay.ca (item 350201651273 end time 09-Mar-10 12:25:37 EST)

3.BNChttp://cgi.ebay.ca/Digital-Function-Signal-Generator-5-digit-0-2Hz-2MHz-ap_W0QQitemZ280472112391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDom ain_0?hash=item414d70cd07

which would be the best solution? and if anyone knows the cables to go with them it would be greatly appreciated

Comment

A simple approach is to buy a cheap molded guitar cord, lop one end off, and mount a dual banana male there or a BNC. In fact, you could get like an 8 foot cord, cut it in half and make both.

COmmercial test leads and adaptors are available many places, here are some items from MCM with their stock numbers:

201-006 BNC female to dual banana male adaptor

I don;t see them at MCM, but they do also make the reverse - banana females to BNC male. Both types are useful in the shop. OOps, here it is, 76-005

201-101 BNC male to minigrabber clips 36" lead Pomona
        201-103 banana dual male to minigrabbers 36" lead Pomona
        21-600 BNC male to minigrabber clips 36" lead Tenma
        21-605 BNC male to aligator clips 36" lead Tenma

BNC and 1/4" is not a mix I usually see, but BNC/RCA is common enough, and shove a RCA female to 1/4 male adaptor on it and voila! or make it an RCA female.

For example 27-405 RCA-f/BNC-m adaptor

combined with a RCA-m to 1/4-m cord 24-675

Or a BNC-m to RCA-m cable like 33-530

Got any dead scope probes? if the BNC and cable part is OK, wire a 1/4 male on the probe end.

Darn, I had nice picture links, but they didn;t work.
        Last edited by Enzo; 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

what do you think about the first option? that already has the 1/4 built right into it

Comment

WHy not. it is a very basic little unit, but how fancy does a sine wave generator have to be? For me the frequency and the level have to be continuously variable. (As opposed to something like a high-medium-low switch) This unit covers that.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

BNC to RCA adaptor... RCA lead... RCA to 1/4" jack.

Or you could get a BNC lead, lop off one end and put a jack on. I like the RCA kludge because it can hook up to stereo amps too.
              "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

would either of these work for banana jacks?

Amazon.com: PYLE PPSC-BN100 Banana Plug To 1/4" Speaker Cable: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: Hosa BNP-116 16 AWG 1/4" Female to Dual Banana Adapter (6-Inches): Electronics

I wasnt sure about running speaker cable into the input jack, i know its not good running guitar cable from head to cab.

Comment

could use clip leads... ,,, ... if you have nothing else

Comment

Those are speaker cords, so they are not shielded. You do not want to connect an unshielded cable to the input of an amplifier - you will get lots of hum

Comment

I ended up going with option 2, he said it comes with a banana jack to bnc adapter, then i made a bnc to 1/4 cable.

Thanks for the help

Comment

My function generator has bnc output jack. I use a bnc to banana cable and a banana to 1/4 inch adapter. It was the easiest for me.

Comment

Working...
                        X