The mystery of pole piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The mystery of pole piece

Hi, the mystery is a noiseless (jb fender ,ceramic)metal pole piece doesn't have any magnetic fild (one pole at D string).The size of pole is OK,contact on ceramic bar is OK to.

Originally posted by Achiles View Post
    Hi, the mystery is a noiseless (jb fender ,ceramic)metal pole piece doesn't have any magnetic fild (one pole at D string).The size of pole is OK,contact on ceramic bar is OK to.
    Only the D string pole piece?

Comment

just one pole of the pair,maybe diferent kind of metal.

Comment

I have seen an EJ strat where a few pole pieces were not magnetized. Needless to say it souonded horrible.

Comment

Could it be 303 stainless?

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
            Could it be 303 stainless?
            If it were magnetic stainless (300 series), it would still be magnetized.

Seems kind of odd.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

David, I thought that only 400 series stainless was magnetic (except in oddball circumstances with 304 then it gets work-hardened).

See: http://www.finishing.com/55/05.shtml

Comment

That's weird! Are you sure it's not magnet rod?

Fender
                "Special magnets and enamel coated magnet wire along with Fenders "Noiseless" technology produce a unique vintage sound that is quiet".

Comment

David, I thought that only 400 series stainless was magnetic (except in oddball circumstances with 304 then it gets work-hardened).

See: How do you test for 303
                  You are correct... 400 series is magnetic. Got my SS mixed up.

Question is why would they put one dummy pole in? Mistake?
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Question is why would they put one dummy pole in? Mistake?
                    Shhh! it's a conspiracy to drive Achiles nuts. They decided to do it back in 1980, pretty scary don't you think?

Comment

Shhh! it's a conspiracy to drive Achiles nuts. They decided to do it back in 1980, pretty scary don't you think?
                      Actually they did it last week, but they had a time machine. That's even scarier.

Comment

Weird problem. Perhaps there is an air gap on the underside of the pickup between the slug and the magnet? I'm not familiar with that particular piece, but there might be some warpage going or something.

Comment

it doesn't even have to touch the magnet. As long as it's close it should be magnetized. I wonder if they put in a dummy pole to even out the volume of that string? Since Jazz bass pickup have two poles per string it would still get picked up. Maybe.

Comment

I was going on the assumption that comparatively the pole piece could seem like it has no pull, though it actually has some. If it was one of your neo-ds, it would still be noticeable but if you're going from slug to slug with a ceramic you might not even notice that it has any pull. Just a theory...

There's also the possibility that someone tried altering the post height at some point in time.
                            Last edited by FunkyKikuchiyo; 03-06-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I took off ceramic bar and tryed a
                              A5 pole and the "blinde" pole is not atracted by it.

Comment

Working...
                              X