Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnatone lap steel

Hello all,

I'm just getting involved with pickup winding, primarily to save a early Magnatone steel/amp that I want to get going. My first question is: Does anybody have any experience or pickup specs for this. I have built a bobbin and wound 7500 turns approx. 7K dc res. 43ga/stewmac. To me, it sounds as I see discribed in treads here, to be brittle, unpleasent when gain on the amp is up etc. I think 7500 turns is to much. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Lap steels are different beasties...

Many lap steels sound very harsh with the tone and volume controls all the way up. One of the keys to getting a really good steel tone is rolling off the tone and volume quite a bit

Comment

Magnatone pickup

Thanks for your input. I think that my problem is related to how I wound the pickup though. The original was wax potted and under the MOTS covering and the coil was open. The original had a coil wound *without* a bobbin. It was just taped around the circumfernce and positioned in a cavity, the magnet, a half circle, sat in another cavity centered within the coil but not in contact with the magnet. I built top and bottom pieces and attached them to the magnet and wound the coil between them. I think that this change in proximity with the magnet may be the cause for the increased brittle tone.

Comment

Working...
      X