X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling power tubes;

Hey all!

I wanted to do the following:
    My amp has 8 output tubes, EL34, that'll give her 200W power. Now lately I got into the posession of a couple of good 6550's.

I would love to swap the 8x EL34 to approx 4x 6550's

Could this be done in an easy / swap way (with of course the alteration of the bias) or do I need to take into account an impedance change (for example because I run 4 tubes instead of 8 tubes)????

Thanks!

To get 200W from four 6550s, you need a supply of 600-700V.

An amp running EL34s would only have around 450-550V, so you can put in the four 6550s, and they'll work fine, but you'll probably only get about 120-150W from them. Should still be a pretty potent sonic weapon, though

It might help to mismatch the impedance one step: plug an 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm tap, etc. You can experiment and see what gives the highest power without redplating.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
      To get 200W from four 6550s, you need a supply of 600-700V.

An amp running EL34s would only have around 450-550V, so you can put in the four 6550s, and they'll work fine, but you'll probably only get about 120-150W from them. Should still be a pretty potent sonic weapon, though

It might help to mismatch the impedance one step: plug an 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm tap, etc. You can experiment and see what gives the highest power without redplating.
      Thanks! That were the things I needed to know!!

Might even try 6 6550's but I don't know how to measure the impedance then

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
        An amp running EL34s would only have around 450-550V
        Some have more than that...
        This one runs off 800 Volts
        Sonic weapon? Yes.

Cheers,
        Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Kreuzer View Post
          Some have more than that...
          This one runs off 800 Volts