Laney AOR 100 Mods to AOR Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney AOR 100 Mods to AOR Channel

Fellow Laney AOR Series owners. I have a few very basic Mods I preformed on my AOR 100 watter which removes the fizzy AOR distortion. Channel one will be from very clean to a nicely overdriven. AOR Channel well is from thick and chunky to mayhem and crazy.

See the link below for the word document and schematics.
    http://www.geocities.com/t.racer_x/index.html

Yes there are probably other tweaks to V1B and V2A I really just wanted to get it up and running. I will probably go back in the future and do some more tweaks.

I am using 6550’s in the power section and yes believe what you have read, LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. The head is plugged into a cabinet loaded with 4 of the G12K-100 Celestion’s, a beast of a speaker with the heaviest magnet currently in use.

Tracer_x

Tracer_x,

Thanks a lot for the info!
    I do believe your amp is loud.
    I'll test these mods to my AOR 30 when I have time / energy to build the amp back together. AOR 30 has two 6V6's at it's output, that's not too loud.
    I think I might also try with other OT, the size of the OT doesn't convince me...
    I'll let you know how it goes!

It's nice to know there are other AOR fellows out there!

- Leka

Comment

Mcrazy4fx AOR 100 modds (PLEASE READ) if you are a modder

Hello all AOR modders,

Just to clarify!!!

The Modds I did on my AOR 100 are based on having 6550's as output tubes!

If you want to get an AOR 50/100 to be more Marshally on the AOR channel with very little modification. I recommend to replace the 100K VR1 with a 1MEG and replace the 2 100K resistors with a single 470K. Also replace the EL34’s with KT77’s as I believe they are direct replacements. You will retain the clean channel which will get dirty and the AOR will growl.

The Mods listed here http://www.geocities.com/t.racer_x/index.html are truly on for 6550’s in the power section. And only truly great if you only need one channel the AOR. You will find the clean channel to be ear bleeding clean.

FYI...
      I took my modded AOR 100 and install KT77’s and reverted back to the basic modds I mentioned in the first paragraph. Although I did leave the 68K mod on mine because it was already done. The KT77's are very rich and lush combined with the basic modds it really growls.

Tracer_x

Comment

Hi,new to the forum. Great stuff here! Im wondering if anybody tried these mods? if so can you point out the resistors in question? Thanks bob

"Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

rockon1,

I've done these mods and have to say again that they are good.
          Be sure that the capasitors are empty before you do anything!
          There are lethal voltages in the amp. From the picture can be seen that there are draining resistors attached to the caps which is good.

It's not too hard to follow the schematic and your board to find out what needs to be done.
          Looking at your amp, the part to be modified is on the right side where the V1 is.
          It might be that your amp is not _exactly_ the same but there might be the same "flaws" in it which these mods will cure.

Comment

Originally posted by Leka View Post
            rockon1,

I've done these mods and have to say again that they are good.
            Be sure that the capasitors are empty before you do anything!
            There are lethal voltages in the amp. From the picture can be seen that there are draining resistors attached to the caps which is good.

It's not too hard to follow the schematic and your board to find out what needs to be done.
            Looking at your amp, the part to be modified is on the right side where the V1 is.
            It might be that your amp is not _exactly_ the same but there might be the same "flaws" in it which these mods will cure.
            I'll definately make sure the caps are drained!-with a meter. After rereading am I correct this mod is to the master volume potentiometer and its resistors? Bob
            Last edited by rockon1; 11-19-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm... my board/controls(more push/pulls) looks different than the board linked here. Seems like a slightly different AOR. anybody know if these mods will work still? thanks Bob

Comment

Little update- Havent tried any mods as I dont have the expertise to apply them to my model. I did replace the caps for maintenance (two more to go)reasons and took some time to dial it in. Heres what Ive found.

Theres a lot of variables when your dealing with the boost features and three pre gain knobs that seem to interact with each other. At lower volumes Ive found it easiest to pretty much crank the pre 1 and pre 2 volumes (leaving the AOR pull boost off) and the pre 1 level at about 3 oclock or so. (The pre 1 volume slightly less for better cleans but almost cranked)Rolling off the the guitar volume gives an almost clean sound. Volume up on the guitar gives a nice fat dirty medium gain rhythm tone. Then I hit the front end with a clean boost for higher gain stuff. Like this I get very little fizz-just fat distortion.
                As the volume goes up I crank the crank the pre 1 level up as it almost acts like a high treble control set up like this and adds treble as the power tubes start to saturate. Also the bass boost can be activated at high volumes. I leave the mid and treble boost on with mids around noon (usually)and treble around 1 oclock and higher as the volume goes up and saturates. Also at higher volumes the AOR can be activated but its not really necessary.The presence is around 1 oclock and increased also with volume to compensate for power tube saturation.
                At any rate the thing turns into a monster when dialed in .Bob

Comment

Originally posted by mcrazy4fx View Post
                  Hello all AOR modders,

FYI...
                  I took my modded AOR 100 and install KT77’s and reverted back to the basic modds I mentioned in the first paragraph. Although I did leave the 68K mod on mine because it was already done. The KT77's are very rich and lush combined with the basic modds it really growls.

Tracer_x
                  There you are basically talking about this right ?

5-12-08 UPDATED EL34 to KT77 SIMPLE MOD
                  Alternate Simple MOD
                  First Step
                  A very simple MOD to the AOR100 is to simply remove R6 and R7 100K resistors and replace with a single 470K. Replace VR-1 100K POT with a 1 MEG POT, if you cannot find a replacement push/pull you can add a toggle on the front or back panel.
                  Second Step
                  Replace the EL34's with KT77's as I think they are direct replacements. The KT77's are rich and lush combined with the basic modds.
                  My AOR Alternate Simple MOD (Sound Review)
                  You will find the clean channel to be very Plexi sounding when pre amp gain is turned up, very early ACDC. The AOR channel will go from growling to insane with a very lush, rich and dark saturation. The AOR's really over saturate and this mod limits the fizzy distortion to more of a growl, a sound that is all LANEY..
                  sound clip coming soon

I have an original(no "series" written on the faceplate) six knobber, and I absolutely LOVE THE VOICING of the amp. However, its a bit noisy at higher pre-amp settings and I would like more gain on tap. Will this mod make it less noisy and ad some gain? Thanks.

Comment

I really want to try this mod on my AOR. Unfortunately its a bit confusing since my board is unmarked. I dont think it will give you added gain your after though. Bob

Comment

Wondering if you can identify something on your board for me

I'm trying to fix an AOR100v1 that I've had for some time. It was modded before I got it, but one thing was replaced that I believe was just faulty. Only it was replaced poorly, and with jumpered resistors. It has since caught on fire and the preamp one no longer works. I would really appreciate it seeing as how you seem to be to only one with any good information on it.

Comment

Ouch. Good luck on that one.

It looks like it will be painful to replace that resistor because it will be hard getting to the backside of the circuit board.

Comment

There's enough room to angle out the board without breaking any contacts. I'm just having a problem finding out exactly which rating I should replace it with. The wiring schematic differs from the first to second generation of the amp, and as I've found out, even somewhat within the series. I opened a first gen that should have been exactly the same as mine (v1, no effects loop) that belongs to a guitarist that I do setups for, but his board looks quite different. I think it's somewhat of an oddity.

Comment

Originally posted by Stansome View Post
                            There's enough room to angle out the board without breaking any contacts. I'm just having a problem finding out exactly which rating I should replace it with. The wiring schematic differs from the first to second generation of the amp, and as I've found out, even somewhat within the series. I opened a first gen that should have been exactly the same as mine (v1, no effects loop) that belongs to a guitarist that I do setups for, but his board looks quite different. I think it's somewhat of an oddity.
                            Does it look like the one on my board? If so maybe I can check mime for you.Bob

Comment

Bob, I do believe I would mega-high-five you given the opportunity if you could check. Mine is a dead copy of yours. I've seen pics of one that was just a little later and used several parts from different manufacturers, and like I said, the in-between one that was totally different. Yours however is a dead set match

Comment

Working...
                              X