Laney AOR 100 Mods to AOR Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stansome View Post
    Bob, I do believe I would mega-high-five you given the opportunity if you could check. Mine is a dead copy of yours. I've seen pics of one that was just a little later and used several parts from different manufacturers, and like I said, the in-between one that was totally different. Yours however is a dead set match

Just to be clear its the yellow one circled right?

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...100v1forum.jpg

I'll try to have a look at it later for you. Bob
    "Reality is an illusion albeit a very persistant one " Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes sir. Mine only looks slightly different at the moment because it's been replaced by three twisted together resistors that caught in fire and burned the board... Ha.

I really appreciate it Bob.

Stan

Comment

Ok heres what I got. The resistor says

206-9 1K0
        202- 15%m

Thats exactly how it appears on the side. I donr know what value that is. I ass-u-me 1K but how many watts? donno...Bob
        Last edited by rockon1; 03-29-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Also I'd mount that resistor a bit above the board-not flush. It gets HOT. The one on mine has browned out the board. I was able to lift it a bit since the legs stuck thru the other side about 1/4 inch. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Stansome View Post
            I'm trying to fix an AOR100v1 that I've had for some time. It was modded before I got it, but one thing was replaced that I believe was just faulty. Only it was replaced poorly, and with jumpered resistors. It has since caught on fire and the preamp one no longer works. I would really appreciate it seeing as how you seem to be to only one with any good information on it.
            I had the same situation on my board, the area circle is totally burnt and scorched on the board and now there is a 5W 1Kohm resistor jumping where the trace used to be. After reading some posts it appears that mine was not an isolated incident. My resistor was replace with the ceramic type w/ above specs.

Has anyone tried to replace those square caps w/ orange drops or mustard caps????

Comment

Originally posted by patiam1969 View Post
              I had the same situation on my board, the area circle is totally burnt and scorched on the board and now there is a 5W 1Kohm resistor jumping where the trace used to be. After reading some posts it appears that mine was not an isolated incident. My resistor was replace with the ceramic type w/ above specs.

Has anyone tried to replace those square caps w/ orange drops or mustard caps????
              That cement resistor gets very hot. I raised mine up above the board since it was scorching it. Havent messed with anything else except replacing the main filtering caps and putting in a 470K input grid resistor. Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rockon1 View Post
                That cement resistor gets very hot. I raised mine up above the board since it was scorching it. Havent messed with anything else except replacing the main filtering caps and putting in a 470K input grid resistor. Bob
                Is that a ceramic resistor that is circled?
                Is the 470K resister the mod Crazy4FX talked about? Do you have a pic of your board where you did that mod? Location on board
                I'm also trying to figure out if anyone changed the tone caps w/ good results on these amps.
                I'm gonna have to do the filter caps on mine soon, which did you go with?
                I know JJ makes them, there are ones made in germany and there is a guy in Vegas that sells them that are the same size as the original LCR but different brand.

Comment

That is a cement resistor circled. The input grid resistor I changed is on the input jack. It is not the mod Crazy4FX is talking about. I just got a bit of high end roll off doing so in an easy way. I went with the German F+T caps. They come in the correct diameter but are shorter. With a desoldering gun and a bit of patience I was able to swap over the resistors on them nicely. Bob

Comment

Any of you guys have a source for the push-pull boost pots in these? I need a replacement Bass pot for my Laney Pro Tube AOR Series 3012

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mcrazy4fx View Post
                      Fellow Laney AOR Series owners. I have a few very basic Mods I preformed on my AOR 100 watter which removes the fizzy AOR distortion. Channel one will be from very clean to a nicely overdriven. AOR Channel well is from thick and chunky to mayhem and crazy.

See the link below for the word document and schematics.
                      http://www.geocities.com/t.racer_x/index.html

Yes there are probably other tweaks to V1B and V2A I really just wanted to get it up and running. I will probably go back in the future and do some more tweaks.

I am using 6550’s in the power section and yes believe what you have read, LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. The head is plugged into a cabinet loaded with 4 of the G12K-100 Celestion’s, a beast of a speaker with the heaviest magnet currently in use.

Tracer_x
                      Hey there! I'd love to check out these mods! Might they be available on a different (non-geosirtes) site now?

Comment

Originally posted by Charmless View Post
                        Hey there! I'd love to check out these mods! Might they be available on a different (non-geosirtes) site now?
                        For posterity (and to enlighten those who are unaware of the usefulness of the Wayback Machine), here's a cached image of the website formerly at Geocities:

https://web.archive.org/web/20081225...r_x/index.html

Hopefully this helps others who own one of the Laney amps in question!
                        Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Working...
                        X