Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory & design book recommendations

Theory & design book recommendations?

I have an edition of the Jack Darr book which goes into some theory.
    I have the Dan Torres book which seems to almost completely avoid theory and is more of a paint-by-numbers book IMHO.

I find a gap between what I can understand now and the level that some of you "gurus" are on when you get on a very technical level.

I would love to find a book which explains, in somewhat plain English, details of tube guitar amp circuits form a theoretical/design standpoint.

I am very intelligent and good at scientific conceptualization, but I need some help in getting to a higher level of understanding on this stuff.

Thanks

Randall Aiken's and Merlin's pages are good places to start.

A good page on how vacuum tubes work: http://www.john-a-harper.com/tubes201/

Here are a couple of books to keep you occupied for a while: Technical books online

- Scott

Comment

Get yourself a copy of Merlin's book too
      Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

Originally posted by tubeswell View Post
        Get yourself a copy of Merlin's book too
        Yeah, if the first chapter is any indication, it'll be a kickass book. I can't wait for my copy to arrive.

- Scott

Comment

Merlin's book is excellent, in my view. He offers up the math, but overall, I think the explanations are clear even if you don;t connect 100% on the math. It discusses the circuits and various ways to do things, but it is a generic approach, rather than a Fender do this MArshall do that approach. The opposite end of the spectrum would be the Gerald Weber books, which explain nothing. Drives me batty, Weber tells you to replace this resistor and that caps, and move this wire there. You may like the results but you will have zero idea what you just did. In contrast, Merlin tells you just why things work, adn how to make them work different, but without telling you specifics about any particular make and model amp.

It is quite well worth the $35 I paid for mine.

And of course the Radio Design Handbook is a timeless classic. Here is a place you can download it. A general tube electronics text.
          RDH4 mirror
          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

G'day Enzo - do you recommend any general semiconductor amplifier texts? Many years ago I tinkered regularly but now need a great deal of refreshing. There is a market on my side of the planet for a good audio repair guy who also a musician. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx, Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
              Merlin's book is excellent...The opposite end of the spectrum would be the Gerald Weber books
              +1 on both sentiments. I have the green weber book and I don't think there is a single schematic (maybe one) to illustrate any point in there. I went back and drew out my own schematics based on his articles to see what he is talking about.

Comment

If you want real design info and theory, get Merlin's book.

If you want the theory behind how preamp tube shields confuse electrons, get Weber's book.
                Jon Wilder
                Wilder Amplification

Originally posted by m-fine
                I don't know about you, but I find it a LOT easier to change a capacitor than to actually learn how to play well
                Originally posted by JoeM
                I doubt if any of my favorite players even own a soldering iron.

Comment

SOlid state?

Teemuk, who posts here from time to time has written a book about solid state amplifiers. He has posted it for free download over at Solid State Guitar Amp Forum | DIY Guitar Amplifiers - Index in the AMplifier Discussion section. Essentially it is the first post in their whole forum. He may have it available elsewhere, but I don't know where if so.

And of course there is the classic The Art of Electronics.
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Originally posted by bigphatsound View Post
                    G'day Enzo - do you recommend any general semiconductor amplifier texts? Many years ago I tinkered regularly but now need a great deal of refreshing. There is a market on my side of the planet for a good audio repair guy who also a musician. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx, Jeff.
                    Jack Darr's old '60s book is still in vogue FWIW
                    Building a better world (one tube amp at a time)

"I have never had to invoke a formula to fight oscillation in a guitar amp."- Enzo

Comment

please suggest book about tube guitar amp design

please suggest book about tube guitar amp designing, where I download it.

Comment

Merlin B has written an excellent book on tube amp design, but it is not a free download. it is for purchase, and very well worth the price.

For basic tube circuit design and theory, this RDH is a classis. DOwnload it and study it all. RDH4 mirror

Comment

Enzo,
                          Where can you purchase the Radio Design Handbook? I'd like to have a hard copy of it. Do they make a reprint?

Comment

...the 3rd and 4th editions of Radio Design Handbook (RDH) are also available on the web at Pete Millett's website as downloadable as *.PDF files.
                            ...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"

Comment

AES used to sell a reprint of the RDH, but a quick look there, and I didn't see it. REprints and even original copies are out there, but I am not sure just where.

Get a ream of paper and some toner cartridges and print it out... or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X