Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall MTS series (New Guy)

Hello,

I just found this site today and am looking forward to being a part of the forum and learning new tricks for my amp. I am 1/2 way thru an assoc. of science in electronic eng. degree, so a lot of things are becoming more familiar, but I lack the experience of hands-on work, partly because I don't want to mess anything up, including myself.

I have a Randall RM4 and have been tinkering with the modules for a few years , but have yet to totally figure out the nitty/gritty of them. I have a schematic to one of the modules, which can be applied to a number of other modules, although with different values.

Lately, I have been researching preamp tubes and there effect on tone and gain, but I haven't been able to make sense of it yet when it comes to my preamp modules. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Randall MTS series and/or could help out with adding/subtracting gain?

Thanks!
    Last edited by SacredGroove; 03-14-2010, 05:13 PM.

Is anyone even familiar with the amp?

Comment

No

But generally, you can change out a 12AX7 preamp tube for a 12AY7, 12AT7, or 12AU7. The "X" is the highest gain, and the others have lower gains.

This is a pretty safe bet, you're highly unlikely to damage anything or zap yourself in the process. They all have the same pinout and drop right in.

If your tubes are all 12AX7s already, you're not going to get any more gain.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Hi SacredGroove, why don't you post some schematics for us to see and comment?
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the interest. I have found a schematic for one of the modules. This module uses the same pcb as a lot of the modules. I uploaded the schematic as an attachment. I also uploaded a pcb layout of the same module.

Thanks again.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X