Those GFS Mean/Dream 90 plastic covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those GFS Mean/Dream 90 plastic covers

See link below -- I think I asked this before but in case there's any news since then, anyone have access to these? Although I would prefer one with rounder corners to have more of a P90 aesthetic to it.

Dream 90 Humbucker SIzed P90 - Black on Black

no - but they are black metal - not plastic!!!!
    bajaman

Comment

Order black metal covers and have them punched.
      Wimsatt Instruments

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
        See link below -- I think I asked this before but in case there's any news since then, anyone have access to these? Although I would prefer one with rounder corners to have more of a P90 aesthetic to it.

Dream 90 Humbucker SIzed P90 - Black on Black
        are you wanting plastic or metal?

Comment

I want plastic, not metal, not just for the aesthetics but because the metal cover dulls the P90 personality.

Also the Dream/Mean 90's are not metal, they are plastic. I have one.

Comment

I want plastic, not metal, not just for the aesthetics but because the metal cover dulls the P90 personality.

You've gotta talk to Spence, Zhang. He can certainly provide outstanding plastic covers.

Paxphil or Sanhe may have'em, but they have minimum orders of 200 pieces, I think.

GFS have their p'ups made by Artec, if I'm not mistaken. How good is your Corean?

HTH,
            Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
            Milano, Italy

Comment

AllParts has black plastic undrilled bucker covers. There are black metal bucker covers but no undrilled ones that I know of....
              http://www.SDpickups.com
              Stephens Design Pickups

Comment

I think there might be versions of the pups in both metal and plastic. I have a recent Dream 90 with the metal cover. I have a Dream 180 with a metal cover. I also have a 180 with a metal outer surround and a plastic top.

Comment

Originally posted by tuccisbabe View Post
                  I also have a 180 with a metal outer surround and a plastic top.
                  That would be real easy to do. Just get one of those open top covers. Then get some thin plastic cut to size, and drill your holes. You can even leave yourself some wiggle room, since the plastic can move.

It would sound better than a metal cover too.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I remember asking Jay specifically about the BLACK Mean 90s covers some time ago; he answered METAL.

Originally posted by David Schwab
                    That would be real easy to do. Just get one of those open top covers. Then get some thin plastic cut to size, and drill your holes. You can even leave yourself some wiggle room, since the plastic can move.

It would sound better than a metal cover too.
                    I think so too. And I like this look (a la P-94) even more than the closed metal cover.

HTH,
                    Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                    Milano, Italy

Comment

Lieutenant, who loves ya baby, you're right. It looks so convincingly like plastic that I never bothered to tap with my finger -- it is metal.

So never mind this thread, unless somebody has since found out where an actual plastic cover like that can be found...

Comment

Lieutenant, who loves ya baby, you're right. It looks so convincingly like plastic that I never bothered to tap with my finger -- it is metal.

So never mind this thread, unless somebody has since found out where an actual plastic cover like that can be found...
                        Glad to save the day for ya, Zhang!

Anyway, all the answers you're looking for are in this very thread.

I'd go with David Schawb's and my advice: open metal cover and plastic on top à la P-94. Best of both worlds, if you ask me. And a lovely look to boot!

HTH,
                        Pepe aka Lt. Kojak
                        Milano, Italy

Comment

I don't really like the P94 look, I prefer all-cover or no cover. But I may still offer a line of bucker-90's with open cover anyway because other folks do like it, and it would still be closer to a real P90 sound than a full cover. Anybody know who makes cream P90 bobbins?

Comment

Anybody know who makes cream P90 bobbins?
                            You don't need cream bobbins. Just a piece of cream plastic with six holes in it to sit on top of the bobbins.

STEWMAC.COM : Cream Pickguard Material
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

How about these?

Link

Just have to drill the holes. Also comes in cream and white. The problem with the open covers is they're not tall enough for the bobbin and the magnets, at least the ones I have aren't. You can't solder them onto the base plates.
                              www.tonefordays.com

Comment

Working...
                              X