No announcement yet.

Weber 6A20 kit blowing fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a similar problem with my amp, went away when i switched from the Weber "Copper Cap" rectifier to a known working tube recto. Come tot hink of it, i had a problem with my PREVIOUS Weber kit (5e3) and it turned out to be a bad recto.

I have yet to hear from them since filing a complaint last week about the bad rectro, PS cap and knobs in my kit. Last time they sent me another Copper Cap, but i threw it in a drawer somewhere.

Try replacing the recto as well, I know it solved my problem with the last 2 builds. I have taken to wiring up my own rectifier and not using the copper caps when i want to go solid state.

Comment

Thanks again for all the great input.

So, I had a few spare minutes earlier today and decided to go ahead and disconnect all the PT secondaries and see what happens. Fired it up, and all good (i.e. no blown fuse.) So I reconnected each set of secondaries in turn, and - all good.

I reconnected everything exactly as I had it before, so I can't say exactly what took care of the problem; must have just been a short somewhere that I couldn't find, or I'm just crazy and, as Bruce says, didn't see the forest for the trees.

Anyway, now I can proceed with going over the rest of the circuit to see how things check out. Hope I can make some noise soon!

Comment

Just wanted to post an update. After fixing a stupid mistake (couldn't figure out why it wasn't passing signal, but finally discovered that i had forgot one of the fiberboard grounds!), I've now finished the build, and it sounds awesome!

I was very excited to have basically no noise issues at all. There's minimal hum, and it's very quiet, at least as quiet as my original '68 Super Reverb. Vibrato and 'verb work fine and sound as they should. It's such a versatile amp, and I'm really excited to get to know it better.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for your help. I've already got the bug to start on build #2...

-Ryan

Comment

Working...
        X